APC Forum

Consistent quality charcoal

oldguy

The only brown charcoal I've ever read about is the partly converted rye straw used in military "cocoa powder" in the late 1800s for very large caliber guns (over 12 inches). Also known as SBC, for slow burning cocoa.

read the link og posted though it is mainly for musket and cannon. ill take some pics of the charcoal.

dan.

Undercooked charcoal doesn't mill easily, it's so simple. When I put my charcoal in the ball mill, if something is left as a chunk, I throw it away.

Undercooked charcoal doesn't mill easily, it's so simple. When I put my charcoal in the ball mill, if something is left as a chunk, I throw it away.

not that undercooked, it is still black but has a brown sheen to it when you catch it in the light from a good angle, it is perfect according to the link highly flammable [ it catches light quicker than a black piece]and more powerful in muzzle velocity. i dont need mine any faster but i will test anyway, i dont think we need millitary grade powder with other alternatives maybe only for very small items where the punch is needed to account for the low volume.

the only reason i stumbled on this is i set up a retort like og on a smaller scale non presurized on a gas burner and the result was as described after 40 mins little to no flame and smoke from it and a higher yield than normal for me anyway.

dan.

Edited by dan999ification

• 1 month later...

gallery_10713_78_30540.jpg

I believe I have found another way to pressurize a (certain type) charcoal retort.

If it has a tapered metal to metal air tight seal.

Many pressure cookers use a weight to hold-retain internal pressure.

The weight simply sits atop an orfice on the lid (pictured above).

It can either be set to 5, 10 or 15 PSI.

Meaning, you should be able to heat the retort with the weight installed & cook the content under pressure for whatever time & temp you choose.

Then lower the temp (to lower the pressure), remove the weight and allow it to off gas (possibly also ignite the venting gas).

Going to give it a whirl, when I have the time.

Edited by oldguy

A pointed plumb bob sitting in a 1" hole in top of a 5 gallon retort works as well with no issues of over pressure. Cheap as can be.

-dag

A pointed plumb bob sitting in a 1" hole in top of a 5 gallon retort works as well with no issues of over pressure. Cheap as can be.-dag

Dag, I hear what you are saying. But, that is not a truly functional pressure retention device.

It would simply vent expanding gas as the retort heats up.

gallery_10713_78_51922.jpg

An open head type steel 5 gallon pail with a crimp down type lid (pictured above), or even a open head steel drum with a ring type clamp closure will not withstand very much internal pressure. They are designed to carry content weight, not pressure. If you applied 5, 10 or 15 psi to either, it would generally pop or blow off the lid. Or a seam would fail, expand and explosively release pressure.

I am trying to come up with a way to inexpensively, safely & continuously pressurize the retort vessel to 5 psi. I managed to do it with an autoclave. But, the tar content gummed up the pressure gauge & fouled the valves. It worked perfectly, but cleaning - restoring the big $500 autoclave was a laborious pita.

This guy made some fine BP charcoal by simple means.

http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/homemade_bp.html

http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/charcoal.html

I want to take it one step further.

Controlled temperature @ 650F

Controlled pressure @ 5 psi.

Controlled char time

Allow the retort to cool somewhat, then vent it.

I scrounged up ($15) a heavy duty antique 2.5 gallon tapered metal to metal seal pressure cooker that will withstand 25 psi. I am going to remove the spring type pressure release & replace it with the weighted one.

gallery_10713_78_505549.jpg

Since I am in it nominal money, I don’t mind using it as a test retort & gumming it up .

This may sound like I am going to extremes. But, not really. I want consistency.

To get that you have to control the charring within reasonable repeatable perimeters.

If the results meets or exceeds my expectations.

I can upscale the retort system & produce top notch bulk BP charcoal

Use an electric heat source like a low fire kiln to control the temp and add weight to the tapered plug until it will hold 10 PSI. K.I.S.S.

-dag