APC Forum

Cremora Lift

getnany

The Cremora lift charges I have read call for FF. Will F or FFF work?

Here is the stupid question: ( of the F'n question)

If you mix equal parts of F and FFF, do you get FF?

The Cremora lift charges I have read call for FF. Will F or FFF work?

Here is the stupid question: ( of the F'n question)

If you mix equal parts of F and FFF, do you get FF?

Yes and no, if you use a *stainless steel bowl in the bottom of the creamora bucket, I have found that 4F can be used to loft the creamora to height without too much over-blow. In the bottom of a flat bucket, I have had the side split 50/50.

No, the size of the BP grain determines the speed of the burn so mixing slow with fast (FA plus FFFFA) will still give you a hot burn but will then throw out the FA while still burning.

*Wally-World has great ones for $6.00 that fir perfectly.

-dag

Thanks , Dag

Yes and no, if you use a *stainless steel bowl in the bottom of the creamora bucket, I have found that 4F can be used to loft the creamora to height without too much over-blow. In the bottom of a flat bucket, I have had the side split 50/50.

No, the size of the BP grain determines the speed of the burn so mixing slow with fast (FA plus FFFFA) will still give you a hot burn but will then throw out the FA while still burning.

*Wally-World has great ones for $6.00 that fir perfectly.

-dag

Getnany, do the instructions you have call for FFg or FFA? They're different grain sizes.

Getnany, do the instructions you have call for FFg or FFA? They're different grain sizes.

OOPS! Didn't catch that the first time around.

-dag

that has always bugged me, FF is the size and should be the same with or without the graphite, but that is not the case.

To extend the life of your buckets and keep your bowls from deforming, fill the bottom with enough sand or dirt to support the bowl in the bottom of the bucket. I just bring a shovel and use what's available on the shoot site. Edited by FrankRizzo

To extend the life of your buckets and keep your bowls from deforming, fill the bottom with enough sand or dirt to support the bowl in the bottom of the bucket. I just bring a shovel and use what's available on the shoot site.

Sweet! I hadn't thought of that! Another hint to add to my list. :)

-dag

Yes, that is the first version of flat bottom creamora construction. It is not nearly as efficient without a parabolic curve in the bottom.

-dag

Do you drill the bowl for fuse?

Yes, that is the first version of flat bottom creamora construction. It is not nearly as efficient without a parabolic curve in the bottom.

-dag

We e-match them right over the rim and tape the match to the bottom of the bowl, instant flame with no delay, useful for times displays.

-dag

Just so I am not totally off base, the bowl is upside down, correct?

The opening of the bowl faces upward. It essentially makes the bottom the the bucket curved, so as to direct the lift energy up instead of both up and toward the walls.

Just so I am not totally off base, the bowl is upside down, correct?

Just to chime in here, the parabolic shape of the bowl allows for a LOT less BP to be used (1/2 was tested with good results) along with a smaller report when the mass is launched. Frank hit the nail on the head though.

-dag

If you need to tamp or pack a BP or HE charge please select some soft and/or fine matter. Sand, peat, 20-100mesh dust of most types. Using gravel or small stones is asking for one to fly somewhere critical just like a bullet.

If you need to tamp or pack a BP or HE charge please select some soft and/or fine matter. Sand, peat, 20-100mesh dust of most types. Using gravel or small stones is asking for one to fly somewhere critical just like a bullet.

WHOA! there Arthur... There is NO HE and very little BP sprinkled about the bottom of a PLASTIC bucket. If there were enough energy to send "bullets" from the packing under a stainless steel bowl, the plastic bucket would have been reduced to tiny sharp bits of debris.

This is by far one of the most safe fireworks for its size. Containment is minimal.

You have to read the post before you reply my friend. :blink:

-dag

So how many grams/ounces of BP does it usually take to make an effective 5 gallon cremora ?

I've usually seen them made with a full pound of BP. However with the bowl and some other tricks, I bet that could be knocked down to 10-12oz maybe? Someone with more experience would probably know better. I like liquid fireballs myself.

I use 7-8oz of 2FA in a sandwich baggie placed in the bowl. However, I install a standard plastic grocery bag into the bucket like a trash can liner, tape around circumference of the bucket with a wrap of duct tape to keep the bag in place, then load with 8lbs of creamer (or my current favorite, powdered sugar/AF charcoal mix).

I use 7-8oz of 2FA in a sandwich baggie placed in the bowl. However, I install a standard plastic grocery bag into the bucket like a trash can liner, tape around circumference of the bucket with a wrap of duct tape to keep the bag in place, then load with 8lbs of creamer (or my current favorite, powdered sugar/AF charcoal mix).

Same here but I have not used a liner... more thing to try.

-dag

Same here but I have not used a liner... more thing to try.

-dag

It makes for easier cleanup as the residue in the bucket is mostly just BP-based and not a sticky mess. One caveat is that I use quickmatch for ignition. The plastic bag may create static concerns if you're using ematches.

What's the ratio on the powdered sugar / AF charcoal mix?

7:1 works nicely. My local Sam's club sells 7lb bags of powdered sugar, so I just dump a bag of sugar and 1lb of commercial airfloat into a empty pail, snap on a lid, and roll the bucket around on the lawn a few times to tumble the charcoal in. The sugar by itself is too white/reflective to absorb the infrared from the lift fire, and won't ignite reliably.

Edited by FrankRizzo

• 2 weeks later...

Skylighter also has a very helpful comparison chart for BP size comparison:

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/making-fireworks-projects/blackpowder-fireworks.asp

Many articles and formulas list the "A" Blasting Grade while all that I have are the "G" Sporting Grade Skylighter's chart finally helped me figure it all out.