APC Forum

flash powder help

lmodest

• 2 weeks later...
did some one nows an invisible flash (beraq) that have the sound but no colourd flash

It's called dark report composition. The formulas are very simple and all over the internet. It is also relatively dangerous compared to more typical flash powders.

thanks mumbles an other thing is so an other one that have a COLOUR FLASH BUT NO SOUND just flash iam trying to find some formulas. iam trying to find a video

http://vimeo.com/25665552

It's called photoflash. It's more than a formula, it's also very dependent on construction technique. I suggest doing some research on what you're looking for. You seem to be asking a lot of questions without really any searching into it.

ok thank i found something the problem was that i don't khow the name of it but i found something thanks

• 1 year later...

Help. I am a newbie on many levels with safety foremost. First objective is working salutes and the lifting charge for aerial salutes.

Have pot perchl and 625 and 1650 mesh aluminum and sulfur. Had a significant failure rate: 1 in 7 successful with remainder predominately fountains. With little experience (except m-80s in the 1970s), there are many variables to consider and I cannot find a troubleshooting chart.

tried 2 mixes using 1650 mesh al, potperchl, al and then the sulfur added mix.

Questions:

is there a point of diminishing returns in mesh size, 600 vs 1650 (not dark al, just an aluminum powder/flake)?

I assume the powder is not packed to allow for rapid burning?

Can there be some method with fusing that does not ignite mix? Can some fusing methodology increase likelyhood of ignition. The pot Perchlorate was screened to a fine powder first through stainless steel mesh that will filter gasoline or chemicals/hydrocarbons.

I assume I went wrong (case of fountaining) with too much powder in limited space. Can anyone provide me some guidlines in trouble shooting the outcome?

I made first lifting charge w/o ball mill using a lifting charge formula, water and granulating it. I did not use alcohol. is it a solvent for the kno3 (I hope that's saltpeter's formula). Of the many methodologies, one said isopropyl alcohol with water. I have many chemicals and buy denatured (100% solution) alcohol in 5 gal quantities for shellac and shellac flakes (application woodworking). Can denatured be used as a substitute? I also generate a significant amount of sawdust predominately hardwoods. It can be ultra fine (tablesaw) to coarser (jointer). Can it be substitued for rice hulls etc?

What does cutting visco fuse at a 45 deg result in?

What is a "black match" used for? my guess is accelerating combustion!?!?!?

Any help or guidance is appreciated. I can make fabricate tools or tooling required for the task (have lathes and mill).

RogerDodger,

You are asking a lot of basic questions that anyone doing Pyro should know prior to making flash.

You should read up on the basics before doing anymore projects.

Skylighter has some good resources you can view & read.

You should also find another pyro hobbiest in your area to show you some basic safe procedures.

Learning to make black powder should be your first endeavor.

With black powder you can progress to all of the other components needed for making fireworks.

You need black powder to make black match, lift powder, basic stars and burst charges with.

There are different types of aluminum, each one has its purpose in pyro components.

There are many safety considerations you need to follow when making flash powder.

A small static spark can ignite flash powder.

Using the wrong kind of tools can ignite flash powder.

We had (2) people killed in our state last year from accidents with flash powder.

Both houses they lived in were a total loss.

Be safe when working with these pyro chems, too many accidents and we all loose the right to this hobby.