APC Forum

Degradation of flash powder?

gunner1

I was wondering if 70/30 flash "broke down" over time and became unstable. I know that I've seen firecrackers (commercial types like Thunder Bombs and Black Cats) that were thirty years old and still worked fine, but do they become more hazardous to handle? I know that their flash comp is different from 70/30, but generally it's the same principle.

It shouldn't under normal circumstances. From what I've been told, the biggest long term danger toward storing shells and other things that may contain salutes is mice. They like to eat the pasted paper.

It shouldn't under normal circumstances. From what I've been told, the biggest long term danger toward storing shells and other things that may contain salutes is mice. They like to eat the pasted paper.

And groundhogs. Let me tell you, woodchucks don't chuck wood, they chuck dextrin and wheat paste.

I have never heard of anything either from storing 70/30 and becoming unstable. As a general safety measure I don't store 70/30 that is not inside a device and then put into mag. I was under the impression that items such as thunder bombs did use as a 70/30 mix.