APC Forum

Whistle Mix Solvent

usapyro

Is there any alternative solvents to Toluene? The guides say toluene, but the only place that sells Toluene is 200 miles away... I know what all of the stores in my area sell.

Will acetone not dissolve Vaseline or damage the whistle by dissolving some of the mix?

Edited by usapyro

I've always seen Coleman's White Gas or Naphtha called for. I don't know who would waste expensive toluene on whistle mix. Maybe you need to find better guides.

Is there any alternative solvents to Toluene? The guides say toluene, but the only place that sells Toluene is 200 miles away... I know what all of the stores in my area sell.

Will acetone not dissolve Vaseline or damage the whistle by dissolving some of the mix?

I use camping gas and the mineral oil in the white bottle from WallMart for my whistle fuel. Tell the truth, I cannot tell the difference between the awful-to-use Vaseline and mineral oil except that the mineral oil mixes easily and does not have to be melted. I simply mix a whole bottle of mineral oil 1:2 with camping gas and pour it into a sprayer then with my bowl on the scale, I spray and mix the liquid into my perc until I have the proper weight (X3 the weight of the mineral oil alone) and then mix in the ball-milled Benzoate/catalyst, screen twice and let dry.

I can make up a rocket within four hours of mixing the fuel. Easy-peasy ;)

-dag

Everyone I've ever talked to used white gas, better known as Coleman fuel. but other alternatives I'm sure exist. The mineral oil/gas mix is something that will be my first choice.

I'd avoid acetone as it'll attract considerable moisture as it rapidly evaporates. (condensation)

Steve Ladukes instructions:

"I weigh out the perc, add the iron oxide or copper oxichloride, screen this good a few times through a 40 mesh screen, then add the saly or beny and screen this through a gravy strainer a few times, then add the lacquer thinner with the melted vasoline and mix it in real good with a pastry mixer, hand held of course. Then I use a large dowel to mush in the unmixed tiny balls of saly or beny into the mix untill I can't see them anymore. This takes a while to do this and then I push it through a screen onto sheets of kraft and spread out the comp and set it out in the sun. This is the only way I do it now. If you use naptha, it takes to long to dry and stinks forever. Steve"

Steve

Steve Ladukes instructions:

"I weigh out the perc, add the iron oxide or copper oxichloride, screen this good a few times through a 40 mesh screen, then add the saly or beny and screen this through a gravy strainer a few times, then add the lacquer thinner with the melted vasoline and mix it in real good with a pastry mixer, hand held of course. Then I use a large dowel to mush in the unmixed tiny balls of saly or beny into the mix untill I can't see them anymore. This takes a while to do this and then I push it through a screen onto sheets of kraft and spread out the comp and set it out in the sun. This is the only way I do it now. If you use naptha, it takes to long to dry and stinks forever. Steve"

Steve

Yep, that exactly why I dont do it that way. His way is laboriously intensive and includes melting stuff, that's not fer me.

-dag

Acetone and parafin/mineral oil for benzoate based- and white gas/naphta vaseline for sally based whistle works best is my experience.