APC Forum

Talk to me about end burners

stckmndn

Just to tease you MORE!!!

-dag

Those look fun. I'm looking forward to the tooling after PGI as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So, what happened with test #3 that was so horrific as you not include it?^_^

I was so horrible that I just cant bring myself to talk about it!

OK, since you asked, the visco wasn't pushed far enough into the nozzle and didn't light ;)

-dag

• 1 month later...
Dag. Can you please post a pic of one of these pre-fire? I am interested to see the wing design etc. I fancy making some of these.

Dag. Can you please post a pic of one of these pre-fire? I am interested to see the wing design etc. I fancy making some of these.

Sure, no problem.

-dag

Ah! Misunderstanding. It was the monocopter rig I would like pics of.

Hey dag,

What are the dimensions of a typical paint stirring stick?

A leisurely 50ft stroll to the bandsaw will be easier than a 3.500 mile trip to my nearest Menards ;)

I thought mono copters wer differnt than finned rockets :whistle:

Ah! Misunderstanding. It was the monocopter rig I would like pics of.

You know, I thought I posted it here after PGI. Here is the tutorial.

MONOCOPTERS

-dag

I've been thinking about toying with end burners as well, would be great to see a payload taken to the practical edge of space with a sustainer motor atop one of my air-tearing one pound motors..

What i was wondering is why you dont see short, fat end-burners, like say 1" ID by 2 1/2 or 3"? Am i mistaken, and these might be average dimemsions? It seems like a larger diameter to a shorter height ratio would make the design phase simpler, and use my precious propellants more efficiently... Any thoughts?

I've been thinking about toying with end burners as well, would be great to see a payload taken to the practical edge of space with a sustainer motor atop one of my air-tearing one pound motors..

What i was wondering is why you dont see short, fat end-burners, like say 1" ID by 2 1/2 or 3"? Am i mistaken, and these might be average dimemsions? It seems like a larger diameter to a shorter height ratio would make the design phase simpler, and use my precious propellants more efficiently... Any thoughts?

Interesting subject Timm, in fact my first endburners some 22 years ago (HOLY Cow! I'm old) were made using 1" ID x 4" long recycled spiral wound tubes that were drilled out for the nozzle. There was about 2.5" of fuel in them and any more would burn through the walls.

The reason I use a column of 5" of fuel now is that I want the 20 seconds of thrust time on my rockets and with good tubes, that kind of flight becomes routine.

-dag

• 2 years later...

So, I thought I would resurrect this thread and start a conversation about little 1/2" ID black powder end burners again. I have a bunch of finished frames that I will be bringing to PGI along with a few tools sets for the 1/2" motors for others to build and launch at PGI this year.

Take a look at this TUTORIAL for more details. I would like for all of you that are attending PGI this year to consider making one or many 1/2" ID end burners for these monocopters to be launched enmass on Thursday night before the Rocket Rodeo!

Dag. Its great to see you are still kicking man and still up to participate with BP. I really love end burners. They are so easy and reliable.

Dag. Its great to see you are still kicking man and still up to participate with BP. I really love end burners. They are so easy and reliable.

LOL! Don't get too far ahead of me big guy! I am supplying the non-pyro stuff to make them, YOU all are going to make the motors for them. When you go diving off a cliff, make sure to check and see how deep the water is first... :unsure:

LOL! Don't get too far ahead of me big guy! I am supplying the non-pyro stuff to make them, YOU all are going to make the motors for them. When you go diving off a cliff, make sure to check and see how deep the water is first... :unsure:

Now, that is funny :D.

Or, I could try to push someone off in front of me to see what happens to them.

Edited by hindsight

Or, I could try to push someone off in front of me to see what happens to them.

Like Dag said "check and see how deep the water is first"

Mission accomplished with one little push, lol.... :D

• 2 weeks later...

BRRRRRR! Water is COLD! looks like I will be bringing some tubes to a friends and he will make up some end burners for testing this weekend. I will get video if any of the monocopters fly, if they dont...