APC Forum

Best Way to Keep KClO3 free flowing

Vrizla

Another way would be to buy rather coarse potassium chlorate and mill it just before using it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wang,

As a manufacturer's representative, can you tell us what anticake is used in your chlorate? We are debating this and you could settle the issue (at least for your Company's product), for us. Thanks for your input.

WSM B)

hi, we use 0.3% siO2 as anti-caking agent.

Edited by hunanchemie

• 2 weeks later...
Last year I treated a batch of KCIO3 with 1% Cab-o-sil don't remember what O used it for, but I think it is effecting compositions this year; need to order more and leave the Cab out and just screen. Even if it isn't the cause unfortunately I learned the hard way it's still not worth it as it doesn't keep it free flowing very long.

Could you elaborate how it effects (what kind of?) compositions?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the real question is why do you really need anti-cake? Sure it makes it nicer to handle to a degree, but since everything is screened anyway, I've never seen a need to include it myself or special order it. I actually dislike it. I'd prefer to spend an extra few minutes dealing with the composition than risk contamination or not really know what's in it. A member here was telling me last night that he believed that anti-cake in his burst mixture was giving him issues when trying to coat it onto rice hulls.

Sorry, I earlier missed this post. It is very difficult getting the last of the KCLO3, that has caked in the bottom, of a large drum. When you lean into the drum, the light becomes scarce, and there is little room to swing a hammer.

I have used a air hammer, with a chisel, and a rag over it to prevent excessive contamination, from the air tool oil, with goggles, and a air mask. I plan on trying one of the smaller electic demolition hammers, from Harbor Freight. Maybe one of those long steel digging bars, they use to break rocks, when digging deep, into the ground?

To my dismay, I have even contaminated the KCLO3, by tearing up desiccant bags, in one of the KCLO3 drums. Anyone else have better idea(s)? :blink:

Edited by Zingy

1% cabosil is good for me.

also keeps colopohony resin from caking and gives it good flow properties

dave

• 4 months later...

Thread back from the abyss.

So, as a general consensus, does everyone purchase potassium perchlorate with anti-cake,or without? It seems from the thread that folks buy it with and then screen it out.

I have some here without anti cake that I am having heck of a time with. I am running it thru a flower sifter carefully to bust up the big clumps.

I love my KClO4 w/ 0.5% TCP(?) anticake. Its reallu fine and stays that way. Next time I buy any compound that is known to clump I will make sure to get it airmilled with anticake.

I finally got all this stuff ran thru the flower sifter. The very small clumps were chopped up like a 70's-80's movie, credit card style. Not a credit card tho, I used a piece of 1/16" plywood and crunched them down on a paper plate What a PITA,, next time, anti-cake. Edited by Excal

I guess it's a personal preference, I don't see a need for anti cake

I pushed 6k KCLO3 through a 40 mesh screen last week, took a few minutes but I wouldn't call it a pita

I have KCLO4 both with/without anti cake and in most cases they perform the same.

The one without is of better quality and is reserved for Whistle fuel.

I have a lb of Cab O Sil that I've had for years but don't use it.

If you were in large scale production I could see an advantage but for the batchs most pyro's make why add something that isn't needed in the comp?

Edited by Algenco

I use what you in America call Cab O Sil, about 0.5%.

In my experience it is potassium chlorate that cakes really hard, not potassium perchlorate. None of them is hygrocopic, but potassium chlorate is a little bit more soluble in water, which might be the explanation to why it cakes harder.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

Even at <0.5% If my KClO4 has 0.5% and the comp calls for 50% KClO4 then theres a mear 0.25% TCP in my mix. Is that going to cause significant color change?

• 1 month later...
Guys, i read ur discussion.............why everyone prefers either sio2 or TCP anti caking agents for preventing kclo3 from forming lumps eventhough there r many anti-caking agents available in market.............can nyone plzz enlight me in this area !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been made aware that freshly milled oxidizers behave differently than those that aren't. A friend who's been a fireworks professional for several decades once told me about an amazing glitter he made. He later made the same formulation, using the same exact chemicals (from the same drums) and couldn't get the effect he remembered, UNTIL he recalled that he used freshly milled potassium nitrate. So, he tried again with freshly milled nitrate and Bingo!, it worked like he remembered.

I see no reason why this wouldn't carry over to chlorates, or even other oxidizers.

WSM B)

Cab-O-Sil works great if you need free flowing chemicals for salutes.

For other things it can cause problems:

• I'm told it can goof up glitter
  • Whistles without other binders are more prone to CATO rather than stay consolidated
  • dry pressed stars come apart easily (crumble) rather than staying together

Et Cetera...

WSM B)

Wouldnt the mixed Al in the comp create a cabosil effect keeping the perch from clumping up upon storage. ( assuming there was not moisture involved. Well , Im sure your only speaking of the Perch that is to be stored for the intent of flash or alike comps ( unmixed. ) by re-reading what you posted.