APC Forum

core burner rocket problems

eggi96

for me , aluminum first, (its very forgiving on the lathe you can get a nice finish by filing, sanding) then brass , bronze.

ive not worked with stainless yet so i cant comment.

talking of steps in spindles, done any work on stepped whistle tooling? the results are surprisingly good :)

for me , aluminum first, (its very forgiving on the lathe you can get a nice finish by filing, sanding) then brass , bronze.

ive not worked with stainless yet so i cant comment.

talking of steps in spindles, done any work on stepped whistle tooling? the results are surprisingly good :)

Yes, my first were designs by a member over on Passfire that had stepped all of his whistle tooling. The issue was the ever changing thrust curve and I found that I liked the taper much better. The Universal Tooling is my favorite so far, the lift is amazing and with 5% charcoal, the tail is fantastic as well.

-dag

On the outside it may seem that commercial tooling is WAY TOO expensive. However once you really look at what is required to make decent tooling its really not that expensive. There is a lot of machining that goes into a good set and that takes time and as we all know time is money. Not to mention the 2k that the lathe cost +/-

I've been using a WWII era South Bend Quick Change Gear Lathe with taper attachment. I really like the taper attachment, helps a lot. Also, I turn almost all of my spindles out of SS. After turning stainless, aluminum turns like a dream.

I've been using a WWII era South Bend Quick Change Gear Lathe with taper attachment. I really like the taper attachment, helps a lot. Also, I turn almost all of my spindles out of SS. After turning stainless, aluminum turns like a dream.

So true!! Hmmmm, want to make some spindles for me? ;)

-dag

commercial tooling cost way too much

PM me, you may get tooling for a better price then you would imagine.

-dag

This isn't a cheap hobby

REALLY wish someone had clued me in on this one before the addiction! :o

Edited by guntoteninfadel

Can you slow down! Im trying to take notes :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

commercial tooling cost way too much

all my one pound two pound three pound tooling is handmade,aluminum rod wood(oak) rammers(I know I know a no no) they work my one pounder tooling is three years old still going strong

What's wrong with aluminum and oak? That's how I got started as well. I do love my good stainless and brass tooling, the ease of making motors is amazing.

-dag

What's wrong with aluminum and oak? That's how I got started as well. I do love my good stainless and brass tooling, the ease of making motors is amazing.

-dag

one dayI will fork over the money for tooling Im just so damn cheap and they work!lol Jeff

hi guys just question on fusing.

How do i fuse core burner rockets cause won't the fuse just fall out when lighting it. Do I put cotton wool around the fuse? If so won't that cause a cato

There are as many options as you have fingers for fusing a core burner, one way (and my preferred method) is a simple J hook at the end of the fuse. They are pretty darn stable as long as you dont pull on it. The next option is to tape the visco to the stick. This works fine with American visco but Chinese Visco burns completely away leaving nothing for the tape to hold.

I just grab the visco and bend it about an inch from the end and stuff it in the nozzle just past the clay unless its a nozzleless and then its placed just inside the fuel grain.

-dag

Do you have specific dimensions for your tooling? For instance, diameter of nozzle throat, length of divergent section, diameter of exit cone, and if possible, angle of divergent section cone, and inner length of nozzle throat? In addition, length of fuel grain and diameter of core? Im under the impression that you're using 454g of propellent in your design? Thanks.

Do you have specific dimensions for your tooling? For instance, diameter of nozzle throat, length of divergent section, diameter of exit cone, and if possible, angle of divergent section cone, and inner length of nozzle throat? In addition, length of fuel grain and diameter of core? Im under the impression that you're using 454g of propellent in your design? Thanks.

I do have all of the dimensions for my tooling but I do not share them as I sell tooling to pay for my trips to PGI each year and that would put a real damper on my little cottage industry. Also, the design is the creation of another hobbyist from whom I purchased the rights to make tooling from so the prints are not mine to share.

Buy a set and grab a set of calipers ;)

I use 165g of fuel in my 3# core burners, 454g is one US pound. That is an awful lot of fuel for a rocket unless you are getting into the larger non-standard sizes.

-dag

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys just question on fusing.

How do i fuse core burner rockets cause won't the fuse just fall out when lighting it. Do I put cotton wool around the fuse? If so won't that cause a cato

try taking some bm inside a tube that holds three strands,make it 1" longer than the core,leave 3/4" at the end exposed so it can light the top of the core,at the other end slide a piece of visco into the tube holding the three strands of bm and tape the visco in. It will light the top of your core making it thrust a tad more,I make slow bp for all my 1,2,and 3lb rockets so fusing this way makes a nice lazy smooth take off with plenty of power.Try it you'll like it,I hope.