APC Forum

Broken spindle

guntoteninfadel

Has anyone ever broken a spindle? I was using skylighter one pound tooling last night and while taking the rocket off the spindle snapped about two and a half inches from the base. I have never hit the spindle with the tooling and really have not had a problem.

Called skylighter and well they said sorry..... These things should last longer than forty or so rockets right?

Has anyone ever broken a spindle? I was using skylighter one pound tooling last night and while taking the rocket off the spindle snapped about two and a half inches from the base. I have never hit the spindle with the tooling and really have not had a problem.

Called skylighter and well they said sorry..... These things should last longer than forty or so rockets right?

Shoot me an email, I can replace the spindle for less then they will. Is this a Ben Smith set? If so, I just bet that Ben will replace it for free if it broke due to a defect.

I have a shelf of shame, there are a dozen bent, broken, twisted, mutilated tools that I have destroyed over the past 20 years. They serve as a reminder of my impatience and foolishness.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Dag I have no idea. Got it from Harry, first I ever purchased and seemed to be working great, untill last night. I had two dozen more to make before 7/4 but that is up In smoke. Guess I will have to fall back on fledgling mortar program.

Stck..... I was ramming as I always have. Probably 40 rockets give or take on the tooling. Did not notice anything different/weird/strange on last one untill I took it off the spindle.

It's difficult to still tell, but Skylighter used to sell Greg Boyd's tools. I don't think anyone has heard from him in a while though. They look similar to Ben's tools, so it may not hurt to give him an e-mail.