APC Forum

Information on multistage rockets?

ballmill

Attached is a sketch of a 2 stage BP rocket by John Reilly, a well-known pyro. I think I got this at pyrobin. In the Best of AFN IV, there is a similar sketch showing a 2 stage whistle rocket.

What I want you to notice is to compare the length/depth of the dealy above the core when compared to the BP rocket here:

http://www.skylighte...der-rockets.asp

notice the thrust/delay boundary and the length of the delay. You don't want any delay.

Also on his attachment coupler I would place some small exhaust holes around the periphery to properly vent the BP gases and allow the BP particulates to blow upwards into the core, igniting the sustainer, before blowing off the booster itself.

Steve LaDuke presses hybrid whistle mix/BP mix rockets where the cored grain is whistle or strobe mix and then he presses a layer of BP. You could do something similar, or just use a clay bulkhead with passfire hole and 4 Fg (fine) BP to ignite the upper motor.

good luck!

hth

EDIT I forgot too add that since you will have more weight up front, the 2 stage stick should be made longer

Terry

I fired one of these guys today using two 1 lb core burners. First stage went to 400', second stage lit and turned at a near right angle but burned up in the air. I'd like to do more of these but with successively smaller rockets. 1 lb to 8 oz to 4 oz to fuse rocket. Haha.

• 1 year later...
I am working on two stage whistle rockets that are fully cored where the "passfire" is a two section arrangement that separates the bottom motor and then lights the upper stage once it has no back pressure. If it works, I will do tutorial. So far, they have been nothing but interesting salutes ;)

-dag

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did you ever get a chance to write up that tutorial Dag? If so, I would be interested in seeing how it works; I believe I remember you producing some successful multistage rockets a while ago.

WB

Yes, I have had a few good experiences with them so far, i have to look up the video though.

Unrelated to multistage but in answer to the second posting, here is the video for the Perc-Asphaultum JATO rocket:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVT38no8C_o&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active

-dag

Edited by dagabu