APC Forum

First 1LB BP Rockets

ibizon

Fireflies?

-dag

No TT+Ti. Think I broke it a little bit too hard again. I think I need to get me some sponge Ti because I don't want the effect of this kind I have now.

You should have said it was fireflies, it looked very nice! My TT burns forever and has no Ti.

Look on the bright side, the rocket was beautiful, the break was at apogee, what more could you ask for?

Nice job!

-dag

Just shot this :)

looked good mate maybe another second of delay but considering you havent made that many great looking,did you have coarse charcoal or airflot only?How much was the header in grams took off fast might get a 6 inch on one?

Dag, not sure but fireflies is with a special kind of Al right? I don't think they sell it here in Europe.

I'm more or less pleased with the result but there's always room for improvement!

Allrock, actually I didn't use any delay! I just pressed about 4 increments above the spindle. Think that it does need a little delay just to let it slow down a tiny bit.You can see some upward movement in the break.

Not sure if i'm comfortable with lifting a 6" with a 1lb motor, but I do think it should be possible. Looks like there's stil power to spare.

The C was 2/3 airfloat Willow and 1/3 pretty coarse Sequoia (my friends magic charcoal!!). But I ballmilled it for 5 hours so all was airfloat in the end.

I'm going to see if I have time and enough fuel to press a 4lb tomorrow.

I just need to get a 5/16 bolt long enough for my new shiny aluminium spindle removal tool,

I just love you stubborn Americans who refuse to just use the metric system like everyone else.

Edited by SjeefOne

Dag, not sure but fireflies is with a special kind of Al right? I don't think they sell it here in Europe.

I'm more or less pleased with the result but there's always room for improvement!

Allrock, actually I didn't use any delay! I just pressed about 4 increments above the spindle. Think that it does need a little delay just to let it slow down a tiny bit.You can see some upward movement in the break.

Not sure if i'm comfortable with lifting a 6" with a 1lb motor, but I do think it should be possible. Looks like there's stil power to spare.

The C was 2/3 airfloat Willow and 1/3 pretty coarse Sequoia (my friends magic charcoal!!). But I ballmilled it for 5 hours so all was airfloat in the end.

I'm going to see if I have time and enough fuel to press a 4lb tomorrow.

I just need to get a 5/16 bolt long enough for my new shiny aluminium spindle removal tool,

I just love you stubborn Americans who refuse to just use the metric system like everyone else.

actually when Im making tooling i use mm and tubes also or anything on my YT site youll see alot of spec's in mm,lol how much did the header weigh,Im asking alot of questions i know but Ive only pressed one nozzeless and watching your results to see if i will continue on the same path your on.What size was this one my 3lb is 26.5 mm I.D.

actually when Im making tooling i use mm and tubes also or anything on my YT site youll see alot of spec's in mm,lol how much did the header weigh,Im asking alot of questions i know but Ive only pressed one nozzeless and watching your results to see if i will continue on the same path your on.What size was this one my 3lb is 26.5 mm I.D.

Then you are one of the good guys :rolleyes:.

This motor is 19,7mm ID or 1Lb. I used to press just nozzled motors but after Mumbles suggested to take a look at nozzleless motors I looked into it.

And I must say that I'm pleased with these type of motors. Next batch of fuel will be Sequoia C only so that'll probably spice up the fuel a significant amount more.

The header weighed about 200g IIRC, I have one other left now.I'll throw it on the scale before sending it up.

No worries about the questions my friend, that is what these forum-thingies are for right?

We're all experimenting and it's good to share the results so other people can benefit from the trial and (sometimes mostly) error.

I think I'll have to order some 6" hemi's then :) Tomorrow I'll ask my dad to see if he can pick up some 5/16 threaded rod or long bolt for me from a Harley-shop close to his city and a matching wrench.

Then you are one of the good guys :rolleyes:.

This motor is 19,7mm ID or 1Lb. I used to press just nozzled motors but after Mumbles suggested to take a look at nozzleless motors I looked into it.

And I must say that I'm pleased with these type of motors. Next batch of fuel will be Sequoia C only so that'll probably spice up the fuel a significant amount more.

The header weighed about 200g IIRC, I have one other left now.I'll throw it on the scale before sending it up.

No worries about the questions my friend, that is what these forum-thingies are for right?

We're all experimenting and it's good to share the results so other people can benefit from the trial and (sometimes mostly) error.

I think I'll have to order some 6" hemi's then :) Tomorrow I'll ask my dad to see if he can pick up some 5/16 threaded rod or long bolt for me from a Harley-shop close to his city and a matching wrench.

ok thanks mate,my 3lb has taken a 325 gram no problem i just made a 4" can shell its 425 grams hopefully next week,so you use bolts for spindles and it works it seems cool, All

ok thanks mate,my 3lb has taken a 325 gram no problem i just made a 4" can shell its 425 grams hopefully next week,so you use bolts for spindles and it works it seems cool, All

No the bolts are for my spindle removal tool. I bought this 1lb tooling set at http://www.pyro-stuff.com, THE supplier for the Netherlands.

My 4lb/31.7mm tooling is from Wolter though. And that spindle is attached with a 5/16 hex screw, so I need a longer bolt or threaded rod for the removal tool.

I lifted a 500g (sort of) timed report shell with a 1lb motor,but it didn't get very high (i should have figured this) so I guess you'd be fine with the 3lb motor.

No the bolts are for my spindle removal tool. I bought this 1lb tooling set at http://www.pyro-stuff.com, THE supplier for the Netherlands.

My 4lb/31.7mm tooling is from Wolter though. And that spindle is attached with a 5/16 hex screw, so I need a longer bolt or threaded rod for the removal tool.

I lifted a 500g (sort of) timed report shell with a 1lb motor,but it didn't get very high (i should have figured this) so I guess you'd be fine with the 3lb motor.

gottcha on the tooling,500 grams on a one pounder damn thats alot,nozzeled?Ned Gorski said hes working on a curve for one pound bp motors to see how much most will lift I assume both noxxel and less,like to see his work on that.My 1lb gets a 225 gram easily with a nice lazy take off using slow bp so I get long red tails.havent maxed my 3lb motor yet so will see,my 2lb so far takes 323 grams no problem again with slow lazy long tails using my 57/24/9,alot of people tell me to bump up the kno3.I like the looks of this mix so keep that way,lol! I mean 325 grams is enough on slow bp.In the competion Im going 1lb 2lb 3lb.1lb can shell timed reports,2lb can shell stars and the 3lb inserts(hope to do a farfelle with magenta pistil with a 4' shell) All

thanks for the feed back good luck,All

Yep.. Look at this.. I was pretty much convinced it would CATO due to the weight but it didn't.

Didn't went high though, I'd estimate about 30m or even less then that.

This fuel was 65 25 10 on this one, nozzled.

I hear you on the fuel ratios, if it works for you then there's no need to fix it right?

Yep.. Look at this.. I was pretty much convinced it would CATO due to the weight but it didn't.

Didn't went high though, I'd estimate about 30m or even less then that.

This fuel was 65 25 10 on this one, nozzled.

I hear you on the fuel ratios, if it works for you then there's no need to fix it right?

glad i wasnt under that ! Yeah mines just the way I like'em! All

• 3 weeks later...

Shot a lot more rockets this past weekend, but only got video of a couple. I was still doing some testing, but I think I have my method figured out. I was able to lift 3" shells with no problem and still had a lot more power. So, I'll be sending up some 4's next year.

First video is a 75-15-10 nozzle-less rocket with some coarse Ti in the delay. Header was just a 1" ID tube with some red stars and report. It was fused with quick paper fuse into the core to light the fuel faster.

Second is the same fuel as the first without the Ti in the delay. Header was a 3" ball shell with TT and Pyro Science Blue stars. I think the break for the shell was a little soft so I may give it a small boost next time. I used 6:1 bp hulls as the break. The second report is the stick breaker.

I'll try to get more video next year, but I was more concerned with not taking this time around.