APC Forum

My Dextrin is going to the Dogs

killforfood

I haven't been terribly happy with my old batch of Dextrin so I decided to take my time and do another batch properly. After the new batch had cooled, I bagged it up set it on the kitchen table. I was going to put it with my stuff but about an hour later it was gone. It didn't take long to find that the dogs had hauled it out to the back yard and were eating it! GRRR!!! I guess it's a Corn thing. They like the Chicken feed to.

Oh well, I needed to place a chemical order anyways and adding Dextrin was cheap.

I guess I'm giving commercial Dextrin a try.

The mice like my dextrin. I had to place it in a plastic tote to keep them out. A box of mouse bait on top of the dextrin didn't work. Sorry about the dogs, they seem to eat anything.

-dag

The mice like my dextrin. I had to place it in a plastic tote to keep them out. A box of mouse bait on top of the dextrin didn't work. Sorry about the dogs, they seem to eat anything.

-dag

Too bad it doesn't glue their little butts shut. It would at least save the cost of buying bait.

Oh well, I think it was Mumbles that said commercial Dextrin is made using a process other than heat and is superior to what we can make at home.

once you go commercial your never go back

home made is good but commercial is wonderful

home made takes time and effort commercial is just ready

I haven't been terribly happy with my old batch of Dextrin so I decided to take my time and do another batch properly. After the new batch had cooled, I bagged it up set it on the kitchen table. I was going to put it with my stuff but about an hour later it was gone. It didn't take long to find that the dogs had hauled it out to the back yard and were eating it! GRRR!!! I guess it's a Corn thing. They like the Chicken feed to.

Oh well, I needed to place a chemical order anyways and adding Dextrin was cheap.

I guess I'm giving commercial Dextrin a try.

Hmmm keep an eye on them... in case they have a problem..err... "eliminating" so to speak. Should be easy to pick up on the plus side. Yes..I'm serious.

A groundhog dug through the cracked concrete floor of my workshop in one night last year and ate all of mine. Left a mess too. I got him with a hollow point 9mm not long ago.

Hmmm keep an eye on them... in case they have a problem..err... "eliminating" so to speak. Should be easy to pick up on the plus side. Yes..I'm serious.

Didn't seem to slow them down any. They're still pooping in the garden despite having a perfectly good lawn nearby.

A groundhog dug through the cracked concrete floor of my workshop in one night last year and ate all of mine. Left a mess too. I got him with a hollow point 9mm not long ago.

The lengths that these critters are going through to get at the Dextrin leads me to believe that we might be missing out on something really tasty. I'll sprinkle some on my dinner tonight and report back.

PS, It was decent of you to help the little critter out with his apparent lead imbalance. Seems to cure them from doing all kinds of crazy things.

• Like 1

That made me remember when pigeons attacked my SGRS :)

It's the lead deficiency that drives their strange cravings.

A small dose of #7 ½ would cure it.

Tasting dextrin is one of the ways I would determine doneness when I was still in the dark ages and making my own. It takes on a somewhat sweet taste once done. It has a different texture too. Dextrins essentially are non-fermentable sugars. Starch and cellulose are two different polymers of sugar. Hydrolysis and pyrolysis is used to break it down into smaller chunks. Yeast can ferment up to 3 or 4 unit long chains of sugar with some difficulty IIRC. Dextrins are typcially longer than that, and are what are partly responsible for the head on your beer.

The other way I'd test it for doneness was to lick my fingers, and get some dextrin on them, rubbing them to form a paste. When you pull your fingers apart you should get numerous little strings. This test is the biggest way to tell the difference between homemade, and commercial acid hydrolysis dextrin. The commercial stuff will make many many more little strings indicating superior adhesion properties.

• Like 1

once you go commercial your never go back

home made is good but commercial is wonderful

home made takes time and effort commercial is just ready

I can't agree more. I spread 80 pounds of corn starch out in the yard 2 weeks ago.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

i too have had experiences with pets snacking on bits, my cockateil only just finished snacking on strips of paper i was about to paste

he is currently in his cage with one of the biscuits I was snacking on, if you don't want your dextrin to be chewed, try some arabic gum, according to seymour its even better than dextrin and can be used in all the same places

As another option, you could also try NOT pasting in the house. Eating while working with fireworks is almost as stupid as well.

note it said about to paste, i had everything laid out and was going to proceed once i had finished

You're still not claiming to have done it in a safe location. Though it totally makes sense to do the messy stuff inside the house while eating around animals (sarcasm).

the other point is that it was not yet a live shell, i cast hemis using the 3 strip method