APC Forum

Is EMT suitable for star guns?

killforfood

I would like to weld up a test gun for stars and comets up to 1"

I have ½", ¾" and 1" EMT and would like to know if it is considered safe?

I can only speak from experience, but I made my stargun using 1/2" and 3/4" EMT and I have yet to have shrapnel shred my viscera. Since it's only a small BP charge used to launch the star it seems o.k. I do not, however, stand particularly close to the device when in use. For 1" I'd go with a thicker tube, such as black pipe. This is by no means a recommendation, just my personal observation.

I would not trust it. We know it as thin wall tubing in the trade as you might know. But it is also a welded seam constructed pipe, usually done with high frequency welding. I also have to believe that the alloy of steel is not too great for bend ability reasons and cost. I really would hate to find a weak spot. So my answer, being a best guess, would be know. IMO no flipping way would I use it. Maybe someone else will chime in with their experience but I care not to have any herewink2.gif. Definitely my two cents here.

Mark

The welded seam IMO opinion would not be an issue, in many cases the seams are as strong (sometimes stronger) than the base metal. HOWEVER, I wouldn't use EMT. As marks265 said it is a soft crappy steel.

Well, I'll have to look around and see if I've got some scrap black pipe laying around.