APC Forum

potassium perchlorate purity

ballmill

I'm curious as to what everyone uses for perchlorate whether it is domestic or chinese and their preferred supplier. I'm having a few issues with my blue stars washed out and the sound level of my whistle rockets. Is chinese perchlorate of better quality for pyro applications?

I'm curious as to what everyone uses for perchlorate whether it is domestic or chinese and their preferred supplier. I'm having a few issues with my blue stars washed out and the sound level of my whistle rockets. Is chinese perchlorate of better quality for pyro applications?

I still have an old stockpile of Swedish perchlorate. I suppose I should keep it as a standard to compare others to :unsure:.

WSM B)

I checked the purity of several perchlorates for sodium and calcium contamination and came back with very minimal results. Spanish was the purest IIRC, but Thai and Sweedish were extremely low as well. Chinese was perhaps an order of magnitude higher, but even then it was in the single digit ppm range.

If you have dirty perc, you can always dissolve and recrystallize.

If you make your own you can get as pure (or maybe purer) as any available. Check out Swede's blogs. I have some perc (no idea where it was made) that tests negative for chlorate (using NPAA) and have never had issues with colours. I don't think that chlorate is the impurity you're trying to get rid of but you can clean up what you have...