APC Forum

Parlon bound Ruby Red?

killforfood

I'm wanting to know, can I use Acetone for the solvent in Ruby Red?

My thinking is that using Acetone will disolve the Parlon eliminating the need for the Red Gum and Dextrine binders.

Would I need to adjust the fuel to make up for it?

Ruby red

Strontium nitrate 50

Potassium perchlorate 8

Parlon 18

Magnalium (-325 mesh) 12

Charcoal (airfloat) 5

Sulfur 5

Red gum 2

Dextrin 5

Add 25% alcohol/ 75%water

yes you can, but leave the Red Gum, it's there as a fuel no adjustment needed for the dex

I prefer Independence Red, blinding B)

Edited by Algenco

Thanks Algenco,

Is this it?

Independence Red #4

Strontium Nitrate 62

Saran Resin 14

Aluminum, flake, dark, German Blackhead. 3 micron 13

Parlon 7

Red Gum 6

Dextrin 5

Boric Acid 1

Darn, I just finished my order with Hobby Chems about 20 minutes ago and had no reason to order Saran. Maybe I can call him in the morning to adjust the order.

As the name implies, there are several other variations on the independence red formula. You may want to get clarification on which one.

Search has not been my friend for finding this composition. Independence #4 was the only one I found so far on the forum.

Google is not helping.

Independence Red

Strontium Nitrate 50

MgAl -200mesh 18

Parlon 16

Red Gum 10

Dextrin 5

Blinding road flare red

As an alternative binder for potentially hygroscopic Strontium Nitrate fueled reds, I've had good success using Resorcinol resin at 4% comp weight, thinned 2:1 with alcohol, and deducting the Red Gum, e.g:

Alternative Ruby Red

Strontium Nitrate...................50

Potassium Perchlorate........8

Parlon.....................................18

Magnalium (-325 mesh).....12

Charcoal (airfloat).................5

Sulfur.......................................5

Catylyst....................................1

Bind with:

Resorcinol...............................4

Alcohol.....................................8

Pros:

Washes up with water, unlike Acetone/Parlon

Far less flammability issues while mixing / drying

Ready to shoot overnight (or less)

Cons:

More $$ than water/dex

More info in the Comet thread, including formulas using Perc & MgAl + carbonates for color.

YMMV

Algenco,

Thanks for posting the contents for Independence Red. I have all of the Chems and since it uses Parlon, I can use Acetone for same day drying.

P.S. Thanks for straightening me out on my Indian Bean Tree.

For years I've been calling my Catalpa a Paulownia. Oh well, it may not be the best charcoal but I bet it's close. Extremely fast growing and very light.

Q,

Can I have a link to the comet thread that you reffered to?

I wasn't familiar with Resorcinol so I took a stroll on Wikipedia. Apparently at one time it was the only approved glue for Spruce airframes.

Resorcinol-formaldehyde resin glue is very strong and durable (resisting immersion in boiling water, mild acids, salt water, solvents, mold, fungus, ultraviolet light, etc.). It must be mixed before use (liquid resin and powdered catalyst). It has a dark purple color which may be objectionable in some uses. Toxic.

Resorcinol glue is a glue that is high in both wet and dry strength and resistant to high temperatures. It is used for gluing lumber or assembly joints that must withstand severe service conditions. Resorcinol withstands outdoor exposure, tropical or sub zero temperatures, as well as salt or fresh water immersion.

I read somewhere that Parlon is also a good binder for hygroscopic chemicals but it shouldn't matter to me since I intend to use the stars the same day that I make them.

I may bake the Strontium on low heat before mixing just to make sure it's dry to start with though.

Edited by killforfood

I don't doubt that Catalapa and Paulownia are very close, similar characteristics of the wood