APC Forum

Nice BP rocket video

ballmill

I finally got around to posting a video of a 1 lb rocket I shot today. This might be my favorite rocket I've launched yet, details are:

75/30/10 (15 airfloat, 15 80 mesh) pressed to around 4,000psi.

Chrysanthemum 6 delay to 5g flash header.

J-hooked 2 inches into the core.

http://pyrobin.com/files/bp753010.wmv

Think my rockets would fly better if I had an "ignition system" like yours.......

Great video.....I live on top/side of a mountain and can enjoy the sound of one report anout five times....lots of fun...

I have found that the BP/Sawdust mix doesn't char the tubes too bad... I have 4 that have been fired 3 times each and are still reloadable...punch out the bulkhead and nozzle and reload. I have even used the nozzle the second time as a test and worked great. Using K Litter lightly ground and screened....

When a tube has gone the distance and cannot be reloaded....It gives itself up to be cut and used as salutes.

With the cost of chemicals and tubes, I squeeze all I can get out of products...

Found that painting the sticks with orange marking paint makes them much easier to find...

I guess I worded that wrong.. I am talking about loaded motors. I made the nozzles far too long on them so they perform poorly.

Thanks.

Is it possible to remove contents of motors and reuse the tubes?

I've reloaded Estes rocket motors before with 100% success but I reloaded them with Rcandy and only after careful inspection of the spent tubes, some were discarded and not reused.

It's so easy because they come back down with a parachute for mostly gentle landings... some landed in water and were suspect for compromise.

P.S. not really sure I'd extend that use to rocket motors that hit Terra firma without a recovery chute.

I build nice rockets and just hate the thought of a cato ruining them.

Stick... no problem.

Thanks.

Is it possible to remove contents of motors and reuse the tubes?

No way, I push my rockets to the line and can only find 1 out of 100 tubes and they are pretty torn up by the time I find them. For $.20 each, I can spare myself the grief of a certain CATO on a second try with the same tube.

-dag