APC Forum

How critical is press squareness

ballmill

Thought I would bring some discussion to the issue I'm having with my new press. It's a Grizzly 12 ton H-frame floor press, a very nice unit, comparable to the harbor freight one but much better quality. The bottle jack actuates downward putting pressure on a beam (which my tooling and P2F gauge sits on). This beam rocks forward and back which causes my last few rammers to press at an angle when there isn't much tube left for support. My spindle is staying centered so that isn't an issue. I'm just concerned with the last few short rammers going in... especially when I move on to pressing whistle in a few weeks.

I'm pressing 1lb BP motors and will be pressing 3 lb whistle motors.

Thought I would bring some discussion to the issue I'm having with my new press. It's a Grizzly 12 ton H-frame floor press, a very nice unit, comparable to the harbor freight one but much better quality. The bottle jack actuates downward putting pressure on a beam (which my tooling and P2F gauge sits on). This beam rocks forward and back which causes my last few rammers to press at an angle when there isn't much tube left for support. My spindle is staying centered so that isn't an issue. I'm just concerned with the last few short rammers going in... especially when I move on to pressing whistle in a few weeks.

I'm pressing 1lb BP motors and will be pressing 3 lb whistle motors.

That is why I made a press myself, no moving parts except for the ram. Yes, it will become an issue for rockets as you will bend spindles and crack rocket tube walls as the bed tips. When I was still using my bench press, I would shim the parts that were not in alignment so that they didn't move when pressing.

I had many a CATO using a bench press.

-dag

I'd say squareness would be fairly critical, keeping in mind that you're putting serious amounts of pressure on the both frame and your tooling.

Besides the fact of friction on the comp you might be pressing, I think if something gives you could have a ram flying about which would spoil the fun.