APC Forum

Coloured Crossettes

Bonny

Has anybody made any coloured crossettes?

I'm looking for relatively fast burning colour comps. I plan on shooting 3/4" x-ettes in 5" ball shells and don't want burning star chunks hitting the ground. I also might try adding a bit of Ti for a tail.

Sure! I used TBP's True Red formula for crossettes last year with great success. Almost any comp will work as long as its not a falling leaves comp. I dial them in by shortening the burning end so that they fly for 1 second and then pop. The resulting broken sections burn out very quickly.

-dag

Sure! I used TBP's True Red formula for crossettes last year with great success. Almost any comp will work as long as its not a falling leaves comp. I dial them in by shortening the burning end so that they fly for 1 second and then pop. The resulting broken sections burn out very quickly.

-dag

Thanks Dag, I'll probably try that one, and from what I've heard it's a great red. As much as I don't want to, I might have to drill another stop pin hole into my wolter pump.

A trick to avoid that is to use a PVC sleeve outside of the tooling. They're cheap and can be cut to any length needed, and provide the stop without needing a separate hole. Cardboard, metal, whatever you have lying around should do the trick. This may require an extraction sleeve, or at least a hole in a piece of wood to rest the whole thing on.

IIRC, my 3/4" tooling is just about 1" OD.

Thanks Mum!! I had forgotten that one and since I make my own pumps, drilling an additional hole is no big deal.

-dag

-dag

Do you have the formula for TBP red? I've seen it before but can't find it...

I'm sorry but I dont have access anymore to Passfire during the day. You can find it under the shared comps under Red Metallic Stars.

-dag

I'm sorry but I dont have access anymore to Passfire during the day. You can find it under the shared comps under Red Metallic Stars.

-dag

Supposed to be working ;) I'll check it on Passfire...probably where I saw it.Although I'm sure I've seen it posted on here somewhere.

dag, I just noticed that the comp is parlon bound with acetone...did you have issues with comp sticking to your pump and/or drying out as you made the crossettes?? Also, how easily do these light? 2 step prime needed?

Edited by Bonny

Only in patty form making cut stars do I use Acetone, I use 4% Dextrin and bind them with 5-6% 70:30 water/alcohol for crossettes and comets. You will need to play with the comp some as it feels really dry when handling it but water squirts out of it if too much pressure is used to pump them.

Also, to increase the burn rate, ball mill the mix WITHOUT the MgAl. Be safe and barricade the ball mill.... blah, blah, blah. the burn time can be cut by half if it is milled to a fine powder.

-dag

Only in patty form making cut stars do I use Acetone, I use 4% Dextrin and bind them with 5-6% 70:30 water/alcohol for crossettes and comets. You will need to play with the comp some as it feels really dry when handling it but water squirts out of it if too much pressure is used to pump them.

Also, to increase the burn rate, ball mill the mix WITHOUT the MgAl. Be safe and barricade the ball mill.... blah, blah, blah. the burn time can be cut by half if it is milled to a fine powder.

-dag

Did you simply add the dextrin (+4%) or did you modify the formula?

Long story short: Will took the Dextrin out and added the Parlon so he could use Acetone and I added it back in to use water for binding. The thing is that the addition adds to the color so much that I wont take it back out.

-dag

• 2 weeks later...

Long story short: Will took the Dextrin out and added the Parlon so he could use Acetone and I added it back in to use water for binding. The thing is that the addition adds to the color so much that I wont take it back out.

-dag

I'll be making some of these soon (loaded with dragon eggs)

Do they light easy? Any tips on priming? I was going to dip into a veline style prime slurry and then into some grain powder.

If they light easy then I'll just dip into a universal BP type...

Use the universal BP type, I can get them to light with no prime in my canisters.

-dag