APC Forum

Flash powder stars ?

THEONE

It is possible to make stars that they can ignite with only a flash powder ?

For examlpe to make a firecracker with stars...

Some Chinese bombettes use a type of flash as both the break and prime on the stars, so yes.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Edited by optimus

It is possible to make stars that they can ignite with only a flash powder ?

For examlpe to make a firecracker with stars...

If you make small and hard round stars with a thick coating of hot prime, I expect you'll succeed. I've heard of a fellow who uses the same mix for burst that he primes the stars with. Genius! (or at least brilliant :D)!!! Have fun.

WSM B)

Some Chinese bombettes use a type of flash as both the break and prime on the stars, so yes.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I want to improve some firecrackers so when they explode, release some small stars

It is possible to make stars with rcand adding for example charcoal

I want to improve some firecrackers so when they explode, release some small stars

not going to happen 50mg salute dosnt give enough fire at all also modifying fireworks is just kwelish behaviour and not at all safe

Sorry, I am not into modifying pyro, just home grown stuff.

Its called titanium

I believe the OP is referring to stars.

not going to happen 50mg salute dosnt give enough fire at all also modifying fireworks is just kwelish behaviour and not at all safe

While I wouldn't advise modifying commercial fireworks (like this anyway), what do you mean by "50mg salute dosnt give enough fire"?

EDIT, did the OP even mention modifying commercial pyro?

Edited by optimus

I don't think he was talking about commercial firecrackers, just calling all salutes in general firecrackers.

If that is the case, I'd work on getting your rockets working consistently before worrying about using any salutes.

never put stars in a firecracker if you intend to let it off on the ground.

dan

It's generally bad form to be lighting any salutes on the ground. Ground salutes start to stray from real pyro, attract the wrong kind of attention, and the wrong kind of people.

There have been consumer fireworks called "successive happy news" that are basically firecrackers with stars.

While that looks a little unsafe, There have been other chinese cakes that have super loud flash breaks, and a red or green micro star break. For me, the super loud flash break isn't the cool part. The micro stars look like a colored titanium burst. Very unique.

Is it just a matter of priming the stars well? I think you'd need something a little more than that...

never put stars in a firecracker if you intend to let it off on the ground.

dan

i meant firecracker[sub gram] which would normally be let off on the ground, being shot with supersonic hot s@*t is not my idea of fun.

we had a firework in the uk last year[maybe banned now] called thunderking, a single shot tube report with stars red, blue, green, white

impressive little buggers, a few years ago they had no stars, fireworks that only bang are now banned and must contain an effect i agree with this as the wrong kind of people misuse them and spoil it for the rest of us.

if you have charcoal make some charcoal stars although they wouldnt survive a flash break. rcandy would just leave trails of smoke and little light if they survive,they may add to the overall fuel mass and be consumed.

the answer is yes but you dont have the skills, knowledge, or materials to do it properly or safely, all salutes should be in the air and as mumbles said if you cant get a rocket [or shell] up to take it to a safe distance dont do it.

make some bp and have fun.

dan

We have 30 cases of Thunderking (1.3g) for the shows this summer, there is one pearl per cake so that it meets the ATF spec for not being 100% reports. They are excellent fill-ins for finales with 3" salutes over the top and a 4" & 5" thrown in sparsely.

Certainly a one trick pony kind of cake but I cant think of one that is used more.

Is it just a matter of priming the stars well? I think you'd need something a little more than that...

I'm glad you found a video of that cake. That's just the one I was thinking of. Those stars must have excess binder and a really great prime. Or they're just easy to light comps to begin with.

if you have charcoal make some charcoal stars although they wouldnt survive a flash break. rcandy would just leave trails of smoke and little light if they survive,they may add to the overall fuel mass and be consumed.

Spider shells tend to disagree with that statement. They're hard broken shells done entirely by flashbags, at least traditionally. I do a mix of flash and BP for the inserts, but full shells are just flash bags. I'm sure there is a limit to size of course as they're not packed to the gills with flash powder. I have seen charcoal comets placed in bottom shots though, and they survive, despite being shot halfway across the earth.

I have seen charcoal comets placed in bottom shots though, and they survive, despite being shot halfway across the earth.

Now THAT would be cool! I have only seen Ti in bottom shots. Do you have a link to some video of that Mum?

I'll try to find one. Cplmac and his crew would do it occasionally. I believe they called it a salute with "shooting star".

I'm glad you found a video of that cake. That's just the one I was thinking of. Those stars must have excess binder and a really great prime. Or they're just easy to light comps to begin with.

Very cool cake that. I once dissected a bombette which didn't appear to have any burst. The stars seemed to have some kind of flash as a prime, at least the outer layer was silver. Really hard breaking and similar to the cake in that video.

Very cool cake that. I once dissected a bombette which didn't appear to have any burst. The stars seemed to have some kind of flash as a prime, at least the outer layer was silver. Really hard breaking and similar to the cake in that video.

That's an interesting thought, maybe that's how it should be done. Make your stars as usual, maybe with a little extra binder, then just roll on a coat or two of lightly bound flash. Fill the shells up with them completely and plug your ears. Using very small stars probably helps them survive the break.

I've often wondered if that is how some hard breaking shells and cakes get past the CPSC. There may only be 130mg of flash burst in there, but there's several grams of "energetic" prime in there as well.

Stars with a healthy layer of hot meal prime on them can be used to completely fill a shell casing, and provide it's own burst at least.

• 2 weeks later...
Certainly worth considering for anyone wanting to pack a punch with small inserts. Should just be a case of finding a good priming method to make sure the flash layer doesn't just burn off, and making the stars themselves nice and hard.

• 3 weeks later...
WOW! Those successive happy news firecrackers are cool as hell. They do seem a little dangerous though I would put a little extra length of visco on it maybe even electric ignition. Can you still buy them?