APC Forum

Anyone used it ?

Ralph

There are a bunch of pyrotechnic chemicals out there that we often hear about but never or rarely see formulas with and if we do see them we usually know nothing about them. Chemicals like Calomel, Paris Green,Relgar,HCB,Red copper oxide, barium chromate, some of which are no longer used due to toxicity others due to cost or general lack of demand. There isnt really a place to ask about these so Im creating one

Ill start with Barium chromate

I have this somewhat readily available and have heard it makes spectacular greens dose anyone have any forumulas with it and has anyone used it ?

Ralph, thanks for bringing this up.

I just recieved some Red Copper Oxide (ordered black) what can I do with it?

I have Realgar, just haven't used it yet

Ralph, thanks for bringing this up.

I just recieved some Red Copper Oxide (ordered black) what can I do with it?

I have Realgar, just haven't used it yet

Red copper oxide has been roomered as a superior colorant that was never worth the extra cost I managed to get my hands on a truck load of it a while back reducing the amount of black copper oxide in a formula by 10% and using red and replacing that with oxidizer seems to do the trick perfectly ( eg if it contains 10% CuO add 9% Cu2O and an additional 1% perc or 15% becomes 13.5% ..........) it dose seem to give a better blue my family will pick the red copper oxide stars over the blacks every time . Also when doing ground tests of comps I was messing around with it is far less suseptible to red tips

Red copper oxide really doesn't cost much extra around here. Maybe $1 per pound. I played with it a bit, but it's nothing special for blues. There isn't anything you can do with the red that you can't with the black if you're using good formulas, and good chemicals. I never tried, but some people were saying that it makes nicer purples and aqua. This may mean that it's more prone to make the green colorants. If you appropriately tuned your blue formulas, I bet you could get more of a turquoise.

I bet strontium and barium chromate would make some killer go-getters. AP based only of course.

Are you able to get it at said low price at any time though? I've paid low prices for a lot of things, but it's a one or limited time only deal usually.

This is a red go-getter from John Driver:

Ammonium Perchlorate - 50

Parlon - 20

Strontium Chromate - 15

-325 mesh Atomized Al - 10

Saran - 5

Shouldn't this thread be in the pyrotechnics area?? Its interesting!!

Are you able to get it at said low price at any time though? I've paid low prices for a lot of things, but it's a one or limited time only deal usually.

This is a red go-getter from John Driver:

Ammonium Perchlorate - 50

Parlon - 20

Strontium Chromate - 15

-325 mesh Atomized Al - 10

Saran - 5

Ill let you know when Ive gone through 220lb of blue I might go pick up some more (because they still have some) just to be safe

Thanks do you know what strontium chromates solubility is ? I guess using strontium carb as a starting point I would eventually get crystals of stronium chromate before I got potassium carb crashing out

moondogman I put it here because its theme is somewhat random

Strontium Carbonate is a hundred times less soluble than chromate, so you're SOL there. Chromate is around 0.1g/100mL. Barium chromate is completely insoluble for all intensive purposes. It however is less soluble than it's already very insoluble carbonate. If you want to make SrCrO4 from the carbonate, you'll have to dissolve it in acid first. Then make sure that the solution is close to neutral, as strontium chromate is soluble in acidic solution. I'd use KOH to bring the pH back up. There is no risk of forming Sr(OH)2, but there would be of forming SrCO3.

Strontium Carbonate is a hundred times less soluble than chromate, so you're SOL there. Chromate is around 0.1g/100mL. Barium chromate is completely insoluble for all intensive purposes. It however is less soluble than it's already very insoluble carbonate. If you want to make SrCrO4 from the carbonate, you'll have to dissolve it in acid first. Then make sure that the solution is close to neutral, as strontium chromate is soluble in acidic solution. I'd use KOH to bring the pH back up. There is no risk of forming Sr(OH)2, but there would be of forming SrCO3.

Cheers I couldn't find any solubility data for strontium chromate Ill use the nitrate as its is a far cheaper feedstock for me

:whistle: nothing came up when I goggled it :P

Really? Wow. I got about 15 billion results ... :whistle:

post-10245-0-96791700-1303371077_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I recently made some strontium chromate. I'll make some experimental comps with it. I wonder if can be a Sr(NO3)2 substitute, from the point of view of color purity and the lack of hygroscopicity,

I was under the impression that it doesn't give up it's oxygen as easily as the nitrate. You may need an auxiliary oxidizer such as potassium (per)chlorate or even strontium nitrate itself. If you have clean strontium nitrate, it shouldn't really be hygroscopic. Alternatively, it may require high metals, such as some of the comps that use strontium carbonate or sulfate as an oxidizer.