APC Forum

4 inch double petal buell red to bright blue

fredhappy

This is a 4 inch petal I've shot recently. The stars are 8 mm buell red to 4 mm bright blue cores. Blue change wasn't picked up well by the camera , but it was there. Petal is filled with 6 mm b70 stars.

Rising effects were 2 kyoku-do's with chrys Fe-Ti comets. Timing of last ascending effect was almost at the same moment the break went off, adding an unwanted yet cool effect to the break.

I feel I could have improved the petal sym'metry a lot with a simple off centre spiking with string. I will build a same shell but spike the inner petal next time, and see how things improve then . I like the inside out building

technique which you can use for these shells. I'll keep aiming for a nice symmetrical 4 inch double petal.

post-10434-0-88134900-1303086922_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-63128500-1303086935_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-08751500-1303087086_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-28246300-1303087103_thumb.jpg

This is a 4 inch petal I've shot recently. The stars are 8 mm buell red to 4 mm bright blue cores. Blue change wasn't picked up well by the camera , but it was there. Petal is filled with 6 mm b70 stars.

Rising effects were 2 kyoku-do's with chrys Fe-Ti comets. Timing of last ascending effect was almost at the same moment the break went off, adding an unwanted yet cool effect to the break.

I feel I could have improved the petal sym'metry a lot with a simple off centre spiking with string. I will build a same shell but spike the inner petal next time, and see how things improve then . I like the inside out building

technique which you can use for these shells. I'll keep aiming for a nice symmetrical 4 inch double petal.

Very nice Fred,

One question I only see two ascending comets. With the two comet tubes the should be 4 comets?

BJV

There are 4, two went off vertically right before the break and the other two horizontally right after the break.

There are 4, two went off vertically right before the break and the other two horizontally right after the break.

Your right dagabu, I had to watch the video a couple more times to pick it up.

BJV

Edited by BJV

Thanks guys!

Timing of the last kyoku-do could have been faster, last ascending effect went off at the same time during the break. ( the cool yet unintended effect..hehe..).

It is a lot of fun to build these double petal shells. I will give kp a try next time, and do some off centre spiking of my inner petal, I expect to see improvements then. I've got a 6 inch

ready to go constructed in the same manner. I hope I will be able to launch that in the near future.

Your right dagabu, I had to watch the video a couple more times to pick it up.

BJB

I had to do a frame by frame to catch it too.

Whats a case of those buggers cost? ;)

hehe...They are quite easy to make, and can be build on the same day you are planning to shoot a shell with them.There is an article on passfire

where they are called "scatter comets", though you can omit the bentonite endplugs that are mentioned in that specific article. Just an enddisk and some hotglue will do fine

to keep the hot lift gasses out of your kyoku-do...

post-10434-0-07141400-1303163965_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice job

hehe...They are quite easy to make, and can be build on the same day you are planning to shoot a shell with them.There is an article on passfire

where they are called "scatter comets", though you can omit the bentonite endplugs that are mentioned in that specific article. Just an enddisk and some hotglue will do fine

to keep the hot lift gasses out of your kyoku-do...

I made my version of these last month right after you posted this and mounted three tubes on top of a rocket tied together with black match and they worked very well but I would have liked a little more timing between comets. I will make another soon but want to focus on perfecting some shells first.

Very nice idea and implementation.

-dag