APC Forum

Hydraulic cylinders

moondogman

Im building a press! Ive got a bid on a pump, ive got my "C" channel and im looking at cylinders. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks Steve

Edited by moondogman

Im building a press! Ive got a bid on a pump, ive got my "C" channel and im looking at cylinders. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks Steve

I vote for double acting, tie-rod cylinders. Double acting can be plumbed for single acting or double acting service. Tie-rod cylinders seem easier to mount to press frames, in my experience. Have fun :D, press building is challenging but a great payoff is having an excellent press to use.

WSM B)

My experiences with hydraulic cylinders leads me to using tie-rod, double acting style due to the longevity they provide due to the ability to easily rebuild them. In the case of my last press, I used a 16" long ram for rigidity, because I would be using it in the shop and not traveling with it much and because it will get a LOT of use.

The next one I build (this summer) will be a "C" press and will have a welded/re-packable cylinder in lieu of a tie-rod style and will be welded to the press (after the cylinder has been disassembled) and then honed out. CYLINDER

This press will be very shallow at only a 3" throat, it will be compact and lite so that it can be as portable as possible. This will be made from three sections of Junior I beam, C channel and four gusset plates. It will weigh around #50 so it will be very portable. I dont know what shielding material I will be using but a section of angle iron (4" x 4") set with the point of the V facing the rocket motor looks very promising!

• 5 months later...

Its the press i was using at tri-state. The cyl I got may be a bit of overkill, but I can put it on a bigger frame to make 6#ers some day.

Steve

Was it a pain to move?

I'm thinking about copying Shawn's press, the one that had the double acting cylinder which would pull the rammer out when you raise the press. I like that he had a knob machined into the bottom of the base of his tooling to keep everything centered with the ram. But more important than anything, I need something portable. I don't mind building a press that can be easily taken apart, as long as I don't have to spend all day getting everything realigned when I set it up.

I can move it around by myself. I like the '3 legged" design better, but getting the base and top made is gonna cost some $. A slightly smaller cyl on mine would make it easier to move! Its still a work in progress.

Steve

For the base and the top, I saw that McMaster-Carr has sections of 8" diameter aluminum bar, 1" thick for $55. I would support it with 3 lengths of 1" all-thread. I would think that would be strong enough without getting too heavy. Shipping on those aluminum discs might be a killer if I can't find a local source for them.

Double action hydraulic cylinders and power packs are not cheap, so I will try to build it with a bottle jack and plan for upgrades in the future.

Nater

Check this out. I found my double acting cyl and pump on ebay also. I was thinking his top and bottom plates must be about 14 inches??

Steve

ebay bar

Do you have Shawns e-mail?? I want to ask a couple questions about his press.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Tie rod cylinders are a good choice if your getting into this type of thing.

I actually work for one of the leading cylinder manufacturers and make them myself.

the internal parts are actually quite simple to replace (ie rebuild repair) as long as you don't bust the end off the rod or something.

• 1 year later...
Anybody have a good source for tie rod hydraulic cylinders that have an end flange mount (not dual clevis)?

This thread is pretty old... and a source depends on where you are. I think the first way to look would be google... industrial supply chains would carry them, but I don't know which ones are around you. Another benefit of tie rod cylinders are that they can be easily taken apart to rebuild.