APC Forum

Rocket Press?

moondogman

This one caught my eye. PRESS anyone have any comments? The stroke is only 6 in that is the biggest issue i can see.

Steve

Pretty tight for a 3# rocket but will work with the rest. I like a 12 ton minimum pump but that will do fine. the nice thing about their presses is that you can hook up a power pack to it once you get tired of pumping by hand and you can cut the mounting plates off, weld in a double acting cylinder and have power both up and down.

I would go with this one if you want to keep it for the next 20 years or so: PRESS

Or if it is a stand in until you can build a power pack style press, I would go with this one: PRESS I have used mine for over 10 years and am selling it to another pyro just starting out for $100.00. Watch for sales, you can get 25% off. P.S. The pumps on ALL of the Chinese presses are over rated so your 10 ton may only put out 16,000PSI and the 20 ton may only put out 30,000 PSI.

Pretty tight for a 3# rocket but will work with the rest. I like a 12 ton minimum pump but that will do fine. the nice thing about their presses is that you can hook up a power pack to it once you get tired of pumping by hand and you can cut the mounting plates off, weld in a double acting cylinder and have power both up and down.

I would go with this one if you want to keep it for the next 20 years or so: PRESS

Or if it is a stand in until you can build a power pack style press, I would go with this one: PRESS I have used mine for over 10 years and am selling it to another pyro just starting out for $100.00. Watch for sales, you can get 25% off. P.S. The pumps on ALL of the Chinese presses are over rated so your 10 ton may only put out 16,000PSI and the 20 ton may only put out 30,000 PSI.

Im looking at somthing I can put on the workbench and move if I need to.

But I found the harbor freight $129 h press for 65 on craigslist. waiting on an e-mail back.

I can get 25% off on the one I posted and pick it up. decisions decisions.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Ive changed to building one. Will this pump work for one?? link

Steve

Surplus center also has several powerpacks on eBay as well, you will need a controller (for $70.00) for your power pack and you will want to make sure your supply pressure is high enough to power your cylinder.

Consider this, you have 2000 psi on that pump MAX (1500 working), this is fine for just about every rocket you are likely to build but if you get your hands on a large comet pump for comets or to press BP pucks, you will find that you dont have enough power.

Also consider that if you ask for less pressure (make damn sure you have an adjustable relief valve on your power pack, the one you show has Dual non-adjustable relief valves set at 2000 psi ) the pump will last longer and if the reservoir is bigger, the cooler it will run and the longer life you will get.

I have a requisition into my builder for two powerpacks, these are rebuilt, not new but sport 2 gallon reservoirs and 20 foot cords. I will let you know what the price is for them soon.

Surplus center also has several powerpacks on eBay as well, you will need a controller (for $70.00) for your power pack and you will want to make sure your supply pressure is high enough to power your cylinder.

Consider this, you have 2000 psi on that pump MAX (1500 working), this is fine for just about every rocket you are likely to build but if you get your hands on a large comet pump for comets or to press BP pucks, you will find that you dont have enough power.

Also consider that if you ask for less pressure (make damn sure you have an adjustable relief valve on your power pack, the one you show has Dual non-adjustable relief valves set at 2000 psi ) the pump will last longer and if the reservoir is bigger, the cooler it will run and the longer life you will get.

I have a requisition into my builder for two powerpacks, these are rebuilt, not new but sport 2 gallon reservoirs and 20 foot cords. I will let you know what the price is for them soon.

I was hoping that I would be able to change to an adjustable pressure relief???? I found one of these on craigslist for 175 + a cyl. no info on the cyl yet but if it fits the bill thats hard to pass up for the combo.

Edited by moondogman

I was hoping that I would be able to change to an adjustable pressure relief???? I found one of these on craigslist for 175 + a cyl. no info on the cyl yet but if it fits the bill thats hard to pass up for the combo.

It cant hurt. I can replace mine but I am not sure if they are all the same or not. I have not found one available online.

THIS pump has an adjustable relief valve.

THIS is the one I have.

Edited by dagabu

It cant hurt. I can replace mine but I am not sure if they are all the same or not. I have not found one available online.

THIS pump has an adjustable relief valve.

THIS is the one I have.

Doesnt Wolter sell an adjustable reliefe valve??

Steve

It's on the website. No clue if it would work though.

http://www.wolterpyr...catg&cat=rocket

Sorry Mum but it says "adjuster" not valve assemble. It maybe splitting hairs but I dont think it is the whole valve, it sure is missing some parts if it is. The 3/4"-16 threaded tube is the same but with no spring, seat and the rest of that hardware shown... :huh:

I asked the guy that sold me my pump if he could make a couple power packs for me, he is going to see if he can build them this weekend. Moondogman, are you looking to buy soon? These will be in the 200 range plus shipping, I dont have a quote yet.

• 2 months later...

What do you guys think about this press and blast shield? It's a 5" bore 3" stroke pneumatic cylinder on a C channel frame. I picked it up from my employer for cheap and extended the height of the cylinder with some angle iron. I also added the 1" thick 12" x 24" Lexan blast shield as shown in the picture. Is this enough protection?

With 100 psi shop air I calculate I have 1963 pounds of force at the rod. With the 3/4" tooling shown I get 4443 pounds on the composition. Is that enough for BP and whistle rockets?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t150/indytim_2007/public%20FW/IMG_0951.jpg

HOLY COW TURDS!

Im really getting press envy!

Edited by guntoteninfadel

What do you guys think about this press and blast shield? It's a 5" bore 3" stroke pneumatic cylinder on a C channel frame. I picked it up from my employer for cheap and extended the height of the cylinder with some angle iron. I also added the 1" thick 12" x 24" Lexan blast shield as shown in the picture. Is this enough protection?

With 100 psi shop air I calculate I have 1963 pounds of force at the rod. With the 3/4" tooling shown I get 4443 pounds on the composition. Is that enough for BP and whistle rockets?

That's really not enough consolidation force. For BP motors, most guys use at least 5500psi on the comp. Also, most pyros don't like pneumatic setups because of the safety issues involved. If you understand the system's shortcomings, you can probably use it. However, be aware that *any* minor tooling misalignment could have catastrophic consequences. Hydraulics are much more forgiving.

That's really not enough consolidation force. For BP motors, most guys use at least 5500psi on the comp. Also, most pyros don't like pneumatic setups because of the safety issues involved. If you understand the system's shortcomings, you can probably use it. However, be aware that *any* minor tooling misalignment could have catastrophic consequences. Hydraulics are much more forgiving.

Okay then, It should work for 5/8" motors or if I can get my compressor up to 125 psi I can do the 3/4" motors. I'm not quite following you on the safety issues with pneumatics versus hydraulics. This press I have was used to manufacture electronic components to exacting specs. and is very solid and has no horizontal play at the rod. It's actually much more stable than my 12 ton hydraulic H press. Can you give me examples of why pneumatic cylinders are potentially dangerous? I always thought people didn't use them because the are hard to get in larger bores. I'm using it because I was lucky enough to happen upon it for cheap. I paid much more for the nuts, all-thread and Lexan than I did for this press. Do you think the Lexan is a viable blast shield?

Okay then, It should work for 5/8" motors or if I can get my compressor up to 125 psi I can do the 3/4" motors. I'm not quite following you on the safety issues with pneumatics versus hydraulics.

What he means (correct me if I am not stating what you meant) is that pneumatics store their pressure in the compressed air and that energy remains available until released thus, the rammer can be shot out like pinching a watermelon seed if the base and rammer are not aligned properly. In my hydraulic press, when using an ejector tube that was not properly faced, the rammer was ejected and put a hole in my sheet rock, if it was pneumatic, it would have gone through the wall and then some!

This press I have was used to manufacture electronic components to exacting specs. and is very solid and has no horizontal play at the rod. It's actually much more stable than my 12 ton hydraulic H press. Can you give me examples of why pneumatic cylinders are potentially dangerous? I always thought people didn't use them because the are hard to get in larger bores. I'm using it because I was lucky enough to happen upon it for cheap. I paid much more for the nuts, all-thread and Lexan than I did for this press. Do you think the Lexan is a viable blast shield?

Yes, the lexan is fine, if you get an ejection, you should be in good shape.

-dag