APC Forum

Does anyone here use the "optimal mix for bp"?

Guest no6

Ive honestly never noticed the difference between the two consistently so after 2 batches of the PGI optimised I went back to the version that is impossible to forget

Black powder can be optimized for the purity or lack there-of of the components, the type of charcoal, the purpose it is designed for, etc... there really is no "optimal mix." Simply mixes that tend to work well for a variety of purposes.

Have you gotten a chance to compare it against normal BP?

Not yet. But here is the link: Optimal BP from Pyroguide

PN 74.64

Coal 13.51

Sulfur 11.85

That equals 100 in case you're wondering.

We lifted a golf ball over 400' with 10% lift. Of course a golf ball is a work of aerodynamic art.

Edited by no6

Just to give a little bit of background on our process...

The PN is ground finely in a coffee mill. Our coal is air-float and the sulfur is as well. Then the ingredients are screened well before being added to the barrel.

3 hours of milling with the 15lb tumbler and 2 HF jars yields us 10% and under results. It's hot and arid in the desert and our results are quite different from wet climates it seems.

If you think that people actually weigh their ingredients to four figures, you delude yourself. Most people don't have the equipment or experience to weigh to 1% let alone 0.01%. The number of forum members who have mill clumping issues indicates the number of people who do not dry the ingredients, what is the point of weighing to 0.01% if there is "About" 5% water in there?

Accurately weighing to 1%, dry selected ingredients with charcoal chosen from the choice woods, then milled thoroughly is the best way of making working charcoal.

If you think that people actually weigh their ingredients to four figures, you delude yourself. Most people don't have the equipment or experience to weigh to 1% let alone 0.01%. The number of forum members who have mill clumping issues indicates the number of people who do not dry the ingredients, what is the point of weighing to 0.01% if there is "About" 5% water in there?

Accurately weighing to 1%, dry selected ingredients with charcoal chosen from the choice woods, then milled thoroughly is the best way of making working charcoal.

I make a kilo at one time to eliminate all of the "rounding up" problems it causes.

KNO3 746g

Charcoal135g

Sulfur 119g

=1000g

PN? Lets stay with abbreviations we all know ;)

I'm sticking with PN. It's less threatening. Don't get your PP in a wad.

I'm only relaying my experience and working conditions. YMMV.

I'm not a fan of arguing about fireworks. Everybody is working under a different set of circumstances. What may work for them may not work for you.

I'm sticking with PN. It's less threatening. Don't get your PP in a wad.

If it confused me to read a made up abbreviation for KNO3, it will mislead new people as well, it is better for the community to stay with abbreviations we can at least look up, PN is not one of them.

Thanks Ralph! :)

Gunzy is helping me with any I have missed and correcting any spelling errors that spell checker just cant work out we are upto L , allot of HE acronyms have intentionally been left out

Gunzy is helping me with any I have missed and correcting any spelling errors that spell checker just cant work out we are upto L , allot of HE acronyms have intentionally been left out

No problem, I dont have any interest in HE and most dont, perhaps a separate list in HE will suffice?

If it confused me to read a made up abbreviation for KNO3, it will mislead new people as well, it is better for the community to stay with abbreviations we can at least look up, PN is not one of them.

PN in a thread about BP isn't really that confusing is it?

I've never tried it (intentionally) but wonder if adding a half percent of fine powdered red iron oxide to the BP mixing would speed things up (catalyze the release of oxygen from the KNO3) like it does in candy propellant?!

Any thoughts?

WSM B)

NO6, I'm cool with you, you challenge me and I challenge you, we both learn. :)

I appreciate that, Dag.

Dag knows I'm a fool. But I'm a heavy reader and willing to learn from others mistakes. There is a treasure trove of information out there and you all have helped me find it. I found the "optimal mix" and my buddy jumped all over it. We have yet to do the comparison with the 75/15/10. It will come soon enough.

But here's what I have learned through all of this. You have to work within your own limitations. You have to work with what you've got. If your lift gets your shell to 200' then your timing must match that result. If your lift gets your shell to 300' then you must accommodate that result. Or vary the percentage of lift used and so on and so forth. The variability is seemingly endless.

It is instructive that no one can duplicate Master Tom's recipes. He's worked out his own formulas based on his own repeatable results over a long period of time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but repeatable results are critical to repeated success.

Don't try to copy anyone, just try to improve what you've got. I have no interest in making one of the master's designs. It's already been done and much better than I will likely achieve.

Just food for thought from a fool. Thanks all.

So "been there, done that" with TR's shells. I would chase his designs all over the world and back but I cant afford to spend 20 hours on a single rocket... ever.

When making cap-plug inserts, i make up a batch big enough in one day to make a dozen shells. The next time I roll all the shells, then I load them and fuse them. The third day is making motors and attaching them. About 20 hours for a dozen rockets.

They are not a s grand as Toms' but they look good to me.

And isn't it cool that we can test our stuff using cheap aerial shells without wasting our precious sticks?

Haha. :)

I fire a lot more shells than rockets. Hoping to change that.