APC Forum

Very unreactive lampblack

50AE

I bought a very cheap bag of some kind of unknown lamblack. As some claim, lamblack should be very messy, but this one is not. It's not so sticky and greasy, but it's still extremely fine. It's easily washed from the hands though.

The problem is, it's very unreactive - it barely burns with KClO3 !! 20% added to black powder almost prevents it from burning. When I had the chance to see it burning, it makes fine very special sparks.

Can you help me determine what kind of lampblack is this, or if it's even lamblack? On the bag it was written - medical grade. Could it be activated charcoal? It doesn't have any smell.

Anything else printed on the bag? Anything at all?

Medical grade lampblack is a pigment used in India ink for tattoos.

No, not anything. The seller doesn't know anything either. I would've posted it here.

Try making 75:15:10 BP with some and see if it burns, if it sputters it is probably activated charcoal.

I have already tried to make BP with it and it doesn't want to burn at all.

Not at all? Then I will place a bet on activated charcoal, it has no volatiles left to burn. Its just carbon.

Also, it isn't conductive.

Mixes with it just can't ignite. If I dip a match with its head mix burning into a batch, sometimes a partial burn can occur, sending charcoal sparks and moving some composition.