APC Forum

smokebombs

THEONE

You have to use colored smoke formulas. These function (normally) by vaporizing an organic dye. Nearly all colored smoke formulations have approximately the following formula:

Dye - 50 parts

Potassium Chlorate - 30 parts

Lactose - 20 parts

The addition of a carbonate can help to cool the flame, and enhance the effect, but that is a pretty generic formula that should work at least partially in most cases.

To answer a few very common questions

No, you cannot color the smoke past maybe light grey of a Potassium Nitrate/sugar smoke bomb. Any video claiming to do this is complete BS.

No, you cannot use other oxidizers than potassium chlorate.

The dyes needed are somewhat specialized, and fairly hard to get and pretty expensive. Most dyes will not work. Clothing dye you buy at the supermarket will not work.

I was looking at the prices of various dyes, and couldnt believe how much money they are. I thought it would be fun to make some homeade smokers for my little nephew but I decided against color because of the price alone of the dye.

I was looking at the prices of various dyes, and couldnt believe how much money they are. I thought it would be fun to make some homeade smokers for my little nephew but I decided against color because of the price alone of the dye.

What dye it weel need? where i can find and where it use? (i try egg dye without success...)

What dye it weel need? where i can find and where it use? (i try egg dye without success...)

http://www.americanpyrosupply.com/Products-SMOKE_KITS_BULK_DYES.html

It is posible to find it in your local hoby shop ? i dont know where they use it because when i ask if the have they always ask for what use...

No, it is not available at hobby shops.

It depends on what you really want to make. Some older formulas use the following:

Rhodamine B (kind of a redish purple)

paranitraniline red (red)

auramine (yellow)

Synthetic Indigo (dark blue/purple)

Phthalocyanine Blue (blue)

Here is a list of more contemporary dyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_smoke

As for where you get any of them, good luck. As I said before, they're hard to source.

As for where you get any of them, good luck. As I said before, they're hard to source.

Is any way that you can make your own organic powdered die ?

Sure. All of the above contain molecular formulas and structures, feel free to look up the syntheses of them. Solvent Red 9 from the wikipedia article may not be the correct structure, you may want to cross reference against some other sources. Others may be more generous, but I'm not going through the trouble of finding all the detailed procedures. Most are not hard to make, but you'll want to have a good background in synthetic organic chemistry.

some, not all organic dyes are used in the food trade/ takeaway[they must be organic for this reason,not blue,sedan red is now banned]. in europe at least they use orange for tikka red for tandoori and yellow for korma[curry houses]/catering suppliers are not cheap but normally stock.

fishing bait manafacturers also use and sell[mainline ] nashbait] richworth] various colours and ship to europe, i have a selection and always wondered if they were ok for the job but they do seem a bit pricey for the amounts required

dan

Hi every one, this is my first post on this forum.

Apologize me for this.

I have a question.

Which is the way to use the smoke composition?

In a container?

Can it be pressed?

thank you

welcome to the forum, it is used in a container theyre normally melted and then cored i dont know if you could press one

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys, my first post too,, this is a great website...

from what I have seen,, the smoke mixture can be loaded into the case without any pressing. it can simply be poured in. However, I think the best way to get the good smoke colour rather than a brown burning smoke is to employ the use of a choke. after inspecting some comercial smoke systems, i have seen chokes made with 2 metal discs held close together with a rubber ring keeping them apart. the discs are sitting at the top of the smoke can and fuse throught the middle. the disks have only a few holes drilled through so that the smoke mix is choked as the pressure builds. unless using aluminium discs, I guess the choke would have to be made from clay or wood so it last long enough and does not burn out before the smoke mix has finished.

Lee

Lee,

One of the safety items we like to emphasize is that we dont use metal if we can avoid it. Smoke cans can be made with glued disks and some waterglass without the hazards of metal shrapnel.

This Tutorial LINK shows a smoke bomb being made from simple paper tubes and caps.

-dag

Lee,

One of the safety items we like to emphasize is that we dont use metal if we can avoid it. Smoke cans can be made with glued disks and some waterglass without the hazards of metal shrapnel.

This Tutorial LINK shows a smoke bomb being made from simple paper tubes and caps.

-dag

yes dag, I do understand that metal should be avoided and so thats why i mentioned clay or wood chokes. the reason for mention of metal was beacause I was refereing to a comercial product.

I should have made it clear to begin with that I make my canisters with heavy wall cardbard tubes.

thanks for your link on smoke system., I seen your cannon also,, I'm also a fellow shooter and work as a gunsmith and enjoy the building of such items :)

Lee

Edited by parabolic

• 3 months later...

I am somewhat troubled on one thing about the smoke bomb. lactose! I cant seem to get it anywhere for rates which are about he same as the dye!

is it completely necessary to use lactose in a colored smoke bomb? because i dont want to have to use sulfur for the fuel as it is in other recipes , just because of the instability

also, with chlorate smoke mixes, both with and without lactose, would it make much difference if the mixture was molten or compacted together? or does lightly packed powder work fine?

You really need to do some reading on these devices, along with every other project you get in your mind. You clearly have no idea what you're doing. I'd avoid using chlorates if I were you for a very long time.

im just practising with chlorates, i have no intensions of putting it on a canister or anything just quite yet. Also i have found very little information anywhere about why lactose is used for a fuel, and if it can be replaced with anything other than dextrin.

Might you otherwise be able to suggest some source of information on building smoke bombs? I honestly did have a good look, but all the places i find, just state the ingredients, and nothing more.

completely different topic here: For a great, long-lasting white smoke i normally do a 50:50 mix of sulfur/nitrate, then press with a nozzle on standard endburner tooling. can anyone forsee problems (safety or otherwise) with this method?

the composition is lancaster

48 k-nit

48 sulfur

4 realgar

I omitted the realgar, for obvious reasons

I bought some smoke dye recently, the seller suggested a forumla of potassium chlorate, powdered sugar (sucrose) , a pinch of sodium bicarbonate, and the dye. No lactose.

I too used sucrose with some blue dye two years ago, it did degrade the blue since it burnt hotter then I expected. Does Lactose burn cooler?

-dag

I do believe lactose does burn cooler, yes.

As far as books, I'd suggest Shimizu's FAST, and Hardt's Pyrotechnics. Ellern may also have some valuable information.

The nitrate/sulfur smoke likely produces clouds of noxious, corrosive, toxic gas/vapor even without the realgar. Other than that it should be safe.

Dag,

That's good to know, I bought blue dye hoping for a nice deep blue. If the lactose burns cooler I will try to find some when I get some potassium chlorate. They're on my long list of things to do, will probably wait a while before I get to them.

Edit: a while back I made the degn white smoke:

sulfur- 16

potassium nitrate - 12

af charcoal - 1

Pressed into hand rolled tubes with bp prime and a nozzle, they did produce a slightly yellowish white/grey smoke. They made a yellow spot in the snow from all the sulfur and the smoke unfortunately blew towards the house. I don't usually complain about the sulfur smell, but these were almost unbearable. I still have the rest of the mix, I haven't made any more since.

Edited by nater

I do believe lactose does burn cooler, yes.

As far as books, I'd suggest Shimizu's FAST, and Hardt's Pyrotechnics. Ellern may also have some valuable information.

The nitrate/sulfur smoke likely produces clouds of noxious, corrosive, toxic gas/vapor even without the realgar. Other than that it should be safe.

ah, i see. that's good to know. what compound is formed that is toxic?