APC Forum

ATF License

Blackthumb

Con: You are now known by the authority that you make fireworks. Thus you cannot slip up.

The only con I can think of is that it puts you on the radar, so you best be sure you stick to the book.

Edit: And there's TBP beating me to the punch :rolleyes:

Edited by NightHawkInLight

IMHO, I think if you stick by the book you should be fine.In my case,I do not have a licence, made fireworks, fired them, and now I have to face the courts.Sorry guys but I had to delete anything related to fireworks on my youtube channel to soften the blow when I appear in court. Hopefully I won't lose my son because of this.

Con: You are now known by the authority that you make fireworks. Thus you cannot slip up.

I have an employee possessor certificate for my work with a display company, but do not have a LEMP for the fireworks I make at home. Since I do not purchase, receive, sell or transport any 1.3G devices, no permit is required (I'm working strictly on my own property). I do have a good magazine (would pass inspection). I'm not making so much product that I've bumped up against the sales limitations imposed by CPSC.

However....

The first thing I did when I decided to get into this hobby was to call the various AHJs to advise them of my intentions and activities. This included the local fire department, state fire marshal, local police, ATF, town officials, as well as my neighbors. Keeping everyone in the loop is a great way to avoid problems.

I make sure I get the required permits for every show I shoot. They trust me enough now to allow quite a bit of latitude for testing purposes.

The most amusing was the fire chief. I live way out in the woods, about 10 miles from the fire station, and his reply was something like "Doesn't matter to me. If something goes wrong it will all be over long before we get there."

Kevin O