APC Forum

Ball mill media

PyroPoss

Hey, im having some problems getting some good ball media that is safe to use.

The only thing i can get is consumer items. Can't buy any online :(

Got any idea?

Thanks, PP.

Hey, im having some problems getting some good ball media that is safe to use.

The only thing i can get is consumer items. Can't buy any online :(

Got any idea?

Thanks, PP.

Go to the home improvement store, pick up some copper pipe, and then run to your local auto shop (Preferably not one of the chain brands) and ask them if you can have used wheel weights, the guy at my shop pointed over to a bucket filled with them and left me to take as many as I wanted.

Then figure out a way to melt the lead, skim off the steel clips, and pour it into the pipe.

Go to the home improvement store, pick up some copper pipe, and then run to your local auto shop (Preferably not one of the chain brands) and ask them if you can have used wheel weights, the guy at my shop pointed over to a bucket filled with them and left me to take as many as I wanted.

Then figure out a way to melt the lead, skim off the steel clips, and pour it into the pipe.

Then you need to swedge the lead into the pipe since lead shrinks when it cools.

You can just pinch the copper in the center before you pour it in, that will lock it in. I'm not sure that lead shrinks enough to fall out of the copper though. Also you could try using hardened lead shot for shotgun reloading, it has a small percentage of antimony in it that hardens it. How big is your mill jar? The bigger the jar the more options you have. I've always wanted to try superballs as media.

I've always wanted to try superballs as media

Every time I get to this part, I hear cartoonish BOINGs in my head.

I fill empty .45 ACP casings with lead from the gun range. A slight smack with a hammer rolls the brass onto the lead to help lock in. I get both brass and lead for free, so it works for me.

Is is safe to use 50/50 stain glass lead poured into copper pipes for ball media?

I think it's 50 % tin but I'm not positive it just says 50/50 on the rolls. anyway it would be inside of the copper tubing.

Bill

Edited by Bilbobaker

Is is safe to use 50/50 stain glass lead poured into copper pipes for ball media?

I think it's 50 % tin but I'm not positive it just says 50/50 on the rolls. anyway it would be inside of the copper tubing.

Bill

50:50 (tin:lead) is not a problem, outside of cost. If you have a bunch, use it. It should be fine.:)

WSM B)