APC Forum

Heartland Pyro/MPAG Shoot in Three Oaks MI

NightHawkInLight

On April 16th there will be a Heartland Pyro/MPAG joint shoot in Three Oaks. Earlier in the day Michigan Team-1 will be having a high power rocketry shoot as well.

Guests are welcome but will have a $25 fee, members of either club I believe will get in free. HP rocketry shoot is from 10am - 5. Here's the pyro shoot schedule:

Set up 3pm

Club mixer 4pm

Open shooting 5-10:45pm

The address is:

18877 Avery Road, Three Oaks, Mi, 49128

I'll be there, it should be a great shoot with the three clubs getting together. I've always wanted to see the high powered rockets fly, and there are some very talented builders in HPA and MPAG.

I have some small stick rockets to fly and should be able to get some gerbs built by then. Maybe some C product to test, but I'd rather see what the other builders are bringing out.

Thanks for the heads up. My wife has to work every one of our WPAG shoots this year. I checked the date and sorry to say it also lands on a weekend she works. At 4 hours away it is too bad. Maybe next time. And don't ask why I can't just go alone. 2ohmy.gif

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting excited for this shoot, there are plenty of people that belong to both clubs, so I hope it becomes an annual event. Looks like it might rain in the morning, then clear off by mid-afternoon.

I'm getting excited for this shoot, there are plenty of people that belong to both clubs, so I hope it becomes an annual event. Looks like it might rain in the morning, then clear off by mid-afternoon.

Is it as long a drive for most of you as it is for us mpag'ers? I have a 4 hour drive and there's a good deal of people up here coming from twice as far.

It might be closer for a lot of us. I have about a 2 hour drive from Fort Wayne. We have a lot of members around Chicago which does not look that far. There's a few coming from Indy, which should be about 3.5. I know one or two who might be coming from the Cincinnati area too.

We must be a dedicated bunch.

When I mapped it out, it said about 1.5hr. I live on the south side of Chicago. I'll probably be getting there early to mid afternoon. It depends on the weather, how much I feel like watching rockets, and how early I get to bed tomorrow. I predict 2:30 or so. I have to get all joined up and everything. I plan to make it to the tri-state later in the fall, and maybe some of the winter ones.

I live on the south side of Chicago.

Yeah Chicago. I'm on the north side. I'll be in Michigan in a week. So close. :(

Not to hijack this thread, but are there any clubs in Chicago? I looked, but I could not find any.

One of the clubs holding this shoot, the Heartland Pyrotechnics Association (HPA), is about as close as you're going to get. I was looking at the shoot dates, and at least of the ones I can attend they're all within 2-3hr drive. I'm also a member of the WPAG, and that is approximately 4hr drive.

Guests are welcome to come, there is a $25 guest fee for non-members. If you are interested in joining HPA and have not talked to Mike, our president, send me a PM and I'll give you his email address. He has requested that anyone wanting to come as a guest to our club or who wants to join get in touch with him or another member of the club board.

I was planning on showing up Friday afternoon and getting some sleep in a motel so I would be rested for the rocket shoot. Now I'm thinking I wouldn't mind missing the first few hours of rocketry to get a good night's sleep. I have an early morning Sunday so I'll probably be leaving early to try to get home before 1am. It looks like I'll be riding out with flyingfish, so it depends on what he wants to do also. By the way, if any of you want my phone number to track me or some of the other APC guys down at the shoot send me a private message. I look forward to seeing you all.

Sorry you'll be missing out Dag. Maybe there's someone else in your area that's coming out?

There were two that were going to ride along but with the snow and my alternator going out, we are missing this one. I am hoping to make at least one club shoot outside of Minnesota this year and it may very well be 4 F.

Have fun... What exactly does, "Now I'm thinking I wouldn't mind missing the first few hours of rocketry to get a good night's sleep.", mean anyway? ;)

Have fun... What exactly does, "Now I'm thinking I wouldn't mind missing the first few hours of rocketry to get a good night's sleep.", mean anyway? ;)

The rocketry starts at 10AM and it's a 3-and-a-half hour drive for us, so there would be missed sleep if we were to actually get there at 10AM.

Sadly I was told the rain at this point is very extremely likely to kill this shoot. I'm not sure who I talked to but I called the number on the invite and the guy basically talked me out of going. Hopefully I'm not missing anything too epic, though I hope anyone that makes it to the shoot has a good time :D

With any luck I'll get other chances to meet you guys from Chicago/Wisconsin/etc. NightHawkInLight said he might still go to this.

I just got home from the shoot. It wasn't the WORST weather I've shot in, but it was still terrible. Cold wind, rain, snow and sleet. I went home from work this morning and took a nap before heading up there, but I don't think anyone flew large rockets. Someone told me the cub scouts flew model rockets in the morning, but I didn't see much set up for the high power guys.

Still, we had a pretty good time. I flew a few 4oz rockets without headers and compared a handful of consumer shells. There were some good whistle rockets launched, some good CATOS, and some good product put up in the air.