APC Forum

Espoma Sulfur

alexthegreat00

Has anybody ever used Espoma Brand Sulfur before? It is by far the cheapest source I could find of garden sulfur in my area. I am having difficulty with its purity though.

Its MSDS sheet says its 90% Sulfur which is good enough for me: MSDS Sheet

However the use and care manual says its only 30% Sulfur: Use Manual

I got both of those pages from the Home Depot Site. Can somebody advise me which to trust or can say from personal experience if it is any good for pyrotechnics?

Thanks, Alex

In price they are almost the same.

65/50=1.3 before shipping at duda diesel

8.48/5=1.7 for garden sulfur

and thats if i want to buy 50lbs of it at duda diesel.

Do you mean it is a bad choice in terms of quality?

MSDS says 90 % sulphur 10 % bentonite clay.

I would not use it simply because of the clay in it.

The user analysis sheet = 60% sulpher, without any explanation of what the other 40% even is.

I would bet the other 40% may be gypsum.

With all those questions about it, I would not use it.

I have never bought or used anything but rubber makers sulphur.

Simply because it is well documented & all the pro's use it.

Sometimes it's more about quality than price. The garden sulfur will probably work pretty well. Its very nice to work with, low odor and very fine.

Here, it's the same stuff in smaller quantities. If you get 10lbs it's just as cheap as the garden material. http://www.hobbychemicalsupply.com/servlet/the-1/sulfur-sulphur-black-powder/Detail

Yes, DUDA has rubber makes sulfur, neutral PH and just what you really want for pyro. ;)

Ugh I paid about $30 for my 7 pounds of sulfer from Duda, what a rip. I wish I had a resource like you guys at that time to direct me towards places like Hobby Chem, 10 pounds for $15 bucks =/