APC Forum

End burner rocket

THEONE

Because i have tried many many times to make a cored kno3/sugar rocket, and all the time i have CATO, i would like to make a end burner rocket.

My casing is 24mm, can somebody help my about how much must be the length and the nozzle of the rocket ?

Also can i use kno3/sugar or rcandy propellents in case of BP ?

Because i have tried many many times to make a cored kno3/sugar rocket, and all the time i have CATO, i would like to make a end burner rocket.

My casing is 24mm, can somebody help my about how much must be the length and the nozzle of the rocket ?

Also can i use kno3/sugar or rcandy propellents in case of BP ?

while im no expert on rocketry

if your getting cato's the core is too long/wide/nozzle too small /endplug not strong enough/tube, a cato can tell you all of these things,

i read somewhere that the general rule of thumb with bp endburners was a nozzle 1/3 tube id and the plugs 1.5x tube id [this may not be the case with sugar propellants]

you do know 24mm id is a big engine for a beginner

A typical endburner uses a nozzle opening 1/4 the ID and it should be 3/4 the ID in length. The nozzle should have a convergence and divergence of 30% and the clay or nozzle material should (in a perfect world) be even with the spindle (nipple) tip after being pressed.

1/3X ID will get you a gerb or a fountain, it will not create enough thrust to sustain flight.

That said: A typical endburner nipple is too short and (danifications) the 1.5X tube ID recommendation is much closer to what we actually drill out for fusing end burners (nozzle 1X ID and spindle sticks .5X ID into the fuel). So my recommendation is to use a tube 6X the ID (144mm) and a nozzle 6mm wide as well as a nipple that extends into the fuel 6-12mm.

What size have you been making. I've been experimenting with 3/4" pvc and found 9g of kitty litter with a 9/64" nozzle works well. I then usually take the smallest bit I can find to core it. For fuel, the usual 65/35 at 25g. As an end plug I use 5g of litter. The litter is probably overkill for most purposes because of the fact I'm using fresh step instead of the pure bentonite the parents used for ice. I haven't been able to do 35g of propellant with any of the nozzles I have tried. With this combination, of the 3 motors I've tested of this specification, all worked successfully. If you are using paper tubes, what kind?

As for an end burner, with sucrose, all you will make is a smoke bomb.

Edited by AMDPhenomX4

What size have you been making. I've been experimenting with 3/4" pvc and found 9g of kitty litter with a 9/64" nozzle works well. I then usually take the smallest bit I can find to core it. For fuel, the usual 65/35 at 25g. As an end plug I use 5g of litter. The litter is probably overkill for most purposes because of the fact I'm using fresh step instead of the pure bentonite the parents used for ice. I haven't been able to do 35g of propellant with any of the nozzles I have tried. With this combination, of the 3 motors I've tested of this specification, all worked successfully. If you are using paper tubes, what kind?

As for an end burner, with sucrose, all you will make is a smoke bomb.

I have a 23mm dowel and i can make with it a paper casing of 23mm

Please write me the dimensions with mm and not with .../..." because i dont understant

Edited by THEONE

A typical endburner uses a nozzle opening 1/4 the ID and it should be 3/4 the ID in length. The nozzle should have a convergence and divergence of 30% and the clay or nozzle material should (in a perfect world) be even with the spindle (nipple) tip after being pressed.

1/3X ID will get you a gerb or a fountain, it will not create enough thrust to sustain flight.

That said: A typical endburner nipple is too short and (danifications) the 1.5X tube ID recommendation is much closer to what we actually drill out for fusing end burners (nozzle 1X ID and spindle sticks .5X ID into the fuel). So my recommendation is to use a tube 6X the ID (144mm) and a nozzle 6mm wide as well as a nipple that extends into the fuel 6-12mm.

corrected and sorry,

my end burners are actually 1/5 id nozzle [10mm id 2mm nozzle] the plug/nozzle is 15mm bentonite and i go .5 id into the fuel only for the bm to ignite it

1/3 id is actually my founatin/ gerb nozzle dimension :unsure: i souldn't have been posting/advising anyone so late when i couldn't think straight or deliver correct information.

so can i make this six inch a rammed whistle :D

so can i make this six inch a rammed whistle :D

Please dont ram whistle, we dont want to lose you :huh:

while im no expert on rocketry

if your getting cato's the core is too long/wide/nozzle too small /endplug not strong enough/tube, a cato can tell you all of these things,

i read somewhere that the general rule of thumb with bp endburners was a nozzle 1/3 tube id and the plugs 1.5x tube id [this may not be the case with sugar propellants]

you do know 24mm id is a big engine for a beginner

So why we don't open a new topic where there we will post all the dimensions and lengths of a successful kno3/powdered sugar rocket engine ? so after no need somebody try again and again to succeed...

Edited by THEONE

while i think this is a great idea as a source of information for people i also think that theres too many variables involved to have a set standard of figures. the learning curve gives a much greater sense of achievement and respect for the materials involved plus someone browsing the forum could just make the biggest and most dangerous rocket without understanding how and why its about to go wrong.

my first rocket was a 40mm with a whopping 250g of fuel sugar rocket with six short bates grains spaced 10mm apart and cored 10mm steel nozzle and plaster plugs. needless to say i was oblivious to my new very high powered rockets potential destructive ability, [i followed the tutorial so its ok, WRONG]the thought alone scares me and since i have scaled down my rockets and switched to bp.

if you are really determined to use sugar make up half a dozen [smaller] identical motors, make lots of increments when ramming, write down all the specs, take one and make the nozzle too large like a fouantain, ignite it in a safe place, next one make the nozzle 1mm smaller and so on. when you get a cato you know the nozzle is too small, copy the one before fix it to a kitchen scale and see how much thrust it has if your engine and stick/rocket body weigh less than this it should fly.

now you have all the dimensions you need because you wrote it down and can follow a pattern you made. this is what i did and im starting to get consistent results. there is alot more to it than this but my essay's getting long

hope this helps and i dont get in trouble for it

be safe stay green have fun

So why we don't open a new topic where there we will post all the dimensions and lengths of a successful kno3/powdered sugar rocket engine ? so after no need somebody try again and again to succeed...

Go ahead and make a new thread then.