APC Forum

Making charcoal with paint pan stove

donperry

I have tried wood, and i've tried BBQ coal

still, It will not heat the other pan above hot enough to make it charred :-/

I have tried wood, and i've tried BBQ coal

still, It will not heat the other pan above hot enough to make it charred :-/

WTF is a paint pan stove???

Get a can (any kind with a lid will do) and punch a few holes in the top,fill it with wood and put it in a fire...

The Christmas cookie tins work great.

Living up here in the far North, a wood stove is a must. I just stoke the fire at night, close it off to all air and Charcoal in the morning!!!

That's pretty hot Blackthumb.

But hey humans have been producing charcoal for at least 100K years (from archeological remains) and god knows how much longer than that--and I'm pretty sure those troglodytes didn't have any goddam paint pan stoves.

Best charcoal I've ever produced (for fast BP)? Balsa wood . . .

For small batches you can take a paint can, fill it up, and put it in a gas grill. Takes about an hour.

I've made it on a BBQ for small batches. I just take the rack off the side burner, and put it on that. Seems to get the job done fairly quickly. ^_^

I've made it on a BBQ for small batches. I just take the rack off the side burner, and put it on that. Seems to get the job done fairly quickly. ^_^

Ive been using my propane turkey fryer with an old popcorn tin for a retort. Red cedar has been the fastest bp so far and it smells wonderful while its cooking.

Steve

Using an empty and cleanly burned off one gallon paint can I a can produce a lot of interesting fir, cedar and pine charcoal in no time at all in my wood stove fireplace insert.

There is a simple video floating around on youtube showing the paint can and the method.

• 4 weeks later...

moondogman: "Red cedar has been the fastest bp so far and it smells wonderful while its cooking."

Curious: is that eastern red cedar or western red cedar? The eastern variety smells like cedar chests and the western like pencils--but I don't doubt it smells better than my cooking balsa.

Using an empty and cleanly burned off one gallon paint can I a can produce a lot of interesting fir, cedar and pine charcoal in no time at all in my wood stove fireplace insert.

There is a simple video floating around on youtube showing the paint can and the method.

That's what I use, a 1 gallon paint can. I usually make it on my BBQ like I said above. Works great! ^_^

but I don't doubt it smells better than my cooking balsa.

LOL! I know what you mean, balsa doesen't smell nearly as good as some other charcoal ive made.

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

eastern smells like cedar chests and makes a campfire smell wonderfull.

I've started using a mix of madrone and red alder with fascinating results.

Paint can in the fireplace insert at night (dampers off) and freshly brewed charcoal in the morning.