APC Forum

New DIY Rocket Tooling Complete!

NightHawkInLight

Thanks NHIL, it sure will pop off the spindle if you brighten it up some more. I really like your idea for removal, I am going to try an all aluminum design, can you spare some details?

I'm not too sure how to explain better than the pictures but I'll give it a shot.

The bottom layer of oak is solid. The second has one hole drilled in the center for the bottom of the spindle to sit in. Those two blocks are then screwed together leaving the smooth portion of the screw sticking out of the top with the heads cut off. This makes pins which align the top block in the same position consistently. When done ramming a rocket, the top block is removed from the bottom two. The rocket, which will come off with the top block, can be easily removed by twisting the two nuts in opposite directions. This widens the gap between them, eventually pulling the spindle through the bottom of the block of wood and removing it from the rocket.

I'm not too sure how to explain better than the pictures but I'll give it a shot.

The bottom layer of oak is solid. The second has one hole drilled in the center for the bottom of the spindle to sit in. Those two blocks are then screwed together leaving the smooth portion of the screw sticking out of the top with the heads cut off. This makes pins which align the top block in the same position consistently. When done ramming a rocket, the top block is removed from the bottom two. The rocket, which will come off with the top block, can be easily removed by twisting the two nuts in opposite directions. This widens the gap between them, eventually pulling the spindle through the bottom of the block of wood and removing it from the rocket.

PERFECT!!! I got it. Now, lets see If I can reproduce it in aluminum.

PERFECT!!! I got it. Now, lets see If I can reproduce it in aluminum.

Excellent. Glad I could help.

Well, here are the first two rockets fired off my new spindle:

Have you ever seen anything in pyro go so well the first time?

• 2 weeks later...
I got all my components to build one out of brass and aluminum, thanks for the pictures, and video.

Dag, have you had a chance to try making that yet? I use a similar method using SS and aluminum. If I get a chance to press up a motor this weekend I'll video my removal method.

Naw, with spring coming on hard, the wife has me cleaning... :(

I would love to see all of your methods for removal, I have an idea about how to do it but the machining may be beyond me.

Edited by dagabu

The prototypes I've seen have the spindle screw directly into the base. Then the threads and a stack of washers are enough to coax the spindle out. Most spindles have a greater taper than what NHIL put on his, so once you get them popped out a little they tend to slide right out. At least this is how I've seen them done with taper pins as spindles.

If I may add to your sentiment Mum, thrust curves show a significant advantage to having a divergence that keeps with the de Laval concept. The extra tube caries on the phenomenon further down the thrust stream and captures lost thrust redirecting it to carry the motor further. At least in theory ;)

A de Laval nozzle (or convergent-divergent nozzle, CD nozzle or con-di nozzle) is a tube that is pinched in the middle, making a carefully balanced, asymmetric hourglass-shape. It is used to accelerate a hot, pressurised gas passing through it to a supersonic speed, and upon expansion, to shape the exhaust flow so that the heat energy propelling the flow is maximally converted into directed kinetic energy. Because of this, the nozzle is widely used in some types of steam turbine, it is an essential part of the modern rocket engine, and it also sees use in supersonic jet engines.

-Wikkipedia

Hi dagabu,

Unless I missed it in the quote above, once the gasses reach supersonic speed (hopefully at the narrowest point of the nozzle), they continue to accelerate in the divergent section (if I remember correctly). Hence the mach diamonds viewed in clear photos of properly burning rocket engines, if I'm correct ;) :lol:.

WSM B)

True.....

The only problem is that I dont know if pyro (maybe whistle) fuels reach supersonic speed to take advantage of the phenomenon. I see only small changes between my optimized Laval set and the universal set.

Here ya go Dag. The spindle is a SS cap screw, which is mounted into a threaded aluminum shoulder, which is then mounted in a firesmith base. The washers and nut are all SS.

Compressed version:

Here ya go Dag. The spindle is a SS cap screw, which is mounted into a threaded aluminum shoulder, which is then mounted in a firesmith base. The washers and nut are all SS.

Nice job! I like how you used Bens base too.

I made a tooling set to test out the Laval Nozzle design, I have an identical set that has the standard 30% convergence-divergence to test it against as well.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/101_2093.jpg

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/101_2092.jpg

Edited by dagabu

Wow that's some fancy rocket tooling. (drool)

Its just for testing but I will sell it if you are looking.

How much?

It took forever to make the curves match the math for the Laval Nozzle set, all brass spindle 2.7" long and base permanently mounted. 8" aluminum rammer with Laval tip (for pressing the nozzle only), 6" flat rammer with hole for spindle and 4" flat rammer.

$100.00 delivered to the lower 48. I still need it for three weeks until I have the testing all done. It will be delivered in like new condition, all shiny.

How much?

Great price for such nice machine work.

I'd like to see the test results first.

Right now I'm finishing up on the plans video posted by Nighthawkinlight and tumbling some rocket fuel in the ball mill. ;)

http://www.grassrootsdiy.com/

Edited by Bilbobaker

Great price for such nice machine work.

I'd like to see the test results first.

Right now I'm finishing up on the plans video posted by Nighthawkinlight and tumbling some rocket fuel in the ball mill. ;)

http://www.grassrootsdiy.com/

Ha, thanks for the advertising. Let me know how it turns out.

Ha, thanks for the advertising. Let me know how it turns out.

I'm pretty sure it will turn out some nice night sky ambiance real soon now. ♥

• 3 months later...
my suggestion for NHIL is not to make any tooling for the YT people,they will be safer if they spend a buck or two and get it right

• 4 weeks later...
Naw, with spring coming on hard, the wife has me cleaning...
At this point i sure hope the wife has let you quit spring cleaning. How did things work out with the "other" nozzle design? Amazing finish on your stuff, if i ever decide to go with rockets, i'll line up and see if your interested in making a set... You have an amazing attention to details.

B!

At this point i sure hope the wife has let you quit spring cleaning. How did things work out with the "other" nozzle design? Amazing finish on your stuff, if i ever decide to go with rockets, i'll line up and see if your interested in making a set... You have an amazing attention to details.

B!

I am WAY beyond that but my load cell has sat dormant all summer and I will likely not get it done before winter and then I will graph out the nozzle designs. It will be a while before I let this one go.

-dag