APC Forum

permanent split capacitor construction motor

alexthegreat00

I picked up (what i believe is) a nice AC motor for a ball mill from American Science and Surplus (great store). I know very little about electronics beyond voltage, amperage and resistance. People had been talking about capacitors on motors in other threads and I had been more or less lost. I did some research to find that my motor has a permanent split capacitor. I could not understand the wikipedia page on regular capacitors, so this is completely beyond me. Short and sweet, do I need to go out and buy a capacitor for my motor and if so, what capacitance should it be? (If I'm using that word correctly)

Here is a link to the motor specs: here

Thanks for the help. This is a complicated question, I think.

Do you mean permanent magnet, split pole, capacitor start? The name rating plate on the side of the motor, should spec. out the capacitor value. Do you have a picture it?

From what I can gather, it is shaded pole. According to Wikipedia it is capacitor start, but there is no centrifugal starting switch. I am not sure whether it is a permanent magnet. Cant get you a picture right now, but it says Spec # 3472 if that sounds right. There is also a small sticker on the side that looks like this:

4.0A

G138-12389

I hope this helps.

The link you provided is to the UL certificate for a shaded pole motor. Shaded pole motors don't need a capacitor. If you can tell me the actual motor manufacturer and part number, I can probably help.

The link I posted is correct. It is made by Rex Engineering Corp and its part number is E69477. I went on their website and found a schematic of it. here

That is good news that I dont need to attach a capacitor to it. I believe I can just use wall voltage then. (I'm in the US)

My final question about it is wiring. My motor has 4 wires coming out of it. The black and brown wires are connected together and combine into a black wire. I believe this one is the 'hot' wire.

The other two are blue and white which combine into a white wire. I believe this is the neutral wire.

Is this correct?

My final question about it is wiring. My motor has 4 wires coming out of it. The black and brown wires are connected together and combine into a black wire. I believe this one is the 'hot' wire.

The other two are blue and white which combine into a white wire. I believe this is the neutral wire.

That sounds correct and logical. You presumably have a "universal" 220/110V motor with two windings, which should be connected in parallel for 110V operation. Brown is hot and blue is neutral in the European color scheme, so that lines up with black and white. It's important to get them connected the right way round or the two coils could neutralize each other and your motor could expire in a cloud of smoke, but if the wires are already connected, you can assume it was done by someone who knew what they were doing.

Alright, thanks a lot. I would have been completely lost without this. Ball mill here I come.

• 8 months later...

Alright, thanks a lot. I would have been completely lost without this. Ball mill here I come.

This book helped me figure out my lathe motor, I finally figured that a wire broke in the junction box where you can change it from 220 to 110 (although it took me probably 5 readings of the chapter) http://www.scribd.com/doc/75086040/Workshop-Practice-Series-Electric-Motors-16

They (Scrbd) might make you upload something for the privilege of downloading the book-in my opinion, it's well worth the trouble, you can check out the article before you upload to gain access to it.