APC Forum

Rocket stick supplier

moondogman

Hello all

I did a quick search and found out a bunch about sticks and how to make them, but not where I can buy them. I dont have room for a table saw or i would make my own. anyone got some links for getting sticks at a reasonable price?? The hobby store in town is way over the top.

Steve

I bought a bundle of 0.25" x 36" square dowels at Meijer for about 20 cents a piece. I don't have a table saw either, so they will have to do until I get one.

Go to a hardware/furnishings shop and keep an eye out for those window blinds made up of hundreds of thin, straight pieces of cane. They are the ones that can be rolled up by pulling a string. Sometimes they make table place mats out of them. They are held together by thin string.

Yes, they work very well for 4oz and 8oz rockets, the bamboo fencing will work for rockets up to 3# if two sticks are used (one on each side) due to the flexibility of the bamboo.

For small rockets I just use shishkabob sticks. They are straight bamboo and go with the grain. I get 200 for a couple bucks at the grocery store.

The 1/2 rockets get squirrely on the shishkabob sticks so I use the X6 rule on them, 3" long motor uses a 18" stick.

what i have always done is tape a straw around them and drop the over a welding rod stuck firmly into a piece of wood, that way, when it reaches apogee and comes down, it cant stick int anything

That unfortunately does nothing to stabilize the flight. I'd be surprised if most pyro rockets would even fly using a method as you've described. I have GREAT doubts if you've ever been able to make this work as well. It's often the motor that penetrates the ground, not the stick.

Interestingly enough, I taped an ESTES rocket (A) to a long straw when I was a kid, once lit, the straw immediately melted and the motor became a "chaser" instead. All ended well with only a small bruise on my sisters back from the motor smacking her while she was running away ;)

I stand still now, no running.

^^ I had a similar experience trying to make a rocket powered racecar.

baran420

Ive got one of those blinds in the attic woohoo.

Steve

That unfortunately does nothing to stabilize the flight. I'd be surprised if most pyro rockets would even fly using a method as you've described. I have GREAT doubts if you've ever been able to make this work as well. It's often the motor that penetrates the ground, not the stick.

actually, it works fine, if you check no6's thread about racks, you will find many a report of lawn darting rockets

I make my own stix from cedar...straight grain and very light. Make them in 3/16and 1/4" square. Larger rockets are 1/4 x 3/8. Let me know a fair price per 50 or 100 and size you need,that meets your budget and I can squeeze a few out for you all......any length.

I ordered some online from ideal true value http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-70886/Detail

Thanks for the thought old fart. I didnt think of dowels being square. and im sure there is a shade up in the attic .....somewhere....

What I have been using the past week or so is horse weed sticks out of the field out back. They are light sturdy enough and the price is the best.

actually, it works fine, if you check no6's thread about racks, you will find many a report of lawn darting rockets

Well, I am still calling BS. Sorry, you do not have the clout to make me take you at your word just yet. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

With the lawn darting rockets, it's still the motor tube not the stick that penetrates. Without a stick though they may not fall nose down. Not that it matters if the rockets never fly up in the first place.

I make my own stix from cedar...straight grain and very light. Make them in 3/16and 1/4" square. Larger rockets are 1/4 x 3/8. Let me know a fair price per 50 or 100 and size you need,that meets your budget and I can squeeze a few out for you all......any length.

I will take 500-3/8" if you are selling them. I need them to be 5' long and I am willing to pay $.15 each. Lets haggle ;)

I ordered some online from ideal true value http://www.idealtrue...he-70886/Detail

Thanks for the thought old fart. I didnt think of dowels being square. and im sure there is a shade up in the attic .....somewhere....

What I have been using the past week or so is horse weed sticks out of the field out back. They are light sturdy enough and the price is the best.

Looks like a good price for a commercial product.

Well, I am still calling BS. Sorry, you do not have the clout to make me take you at your word just yet. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

With the lawn darting rockets, it's still the motor tube not the stick that penetrates. Without a stick though they may not fall nose down. Not that it matters if the rockets never fly up in the first place.

I have a big old Pixi Stix straw .40" and a long clear straw that I will strap 1/2" BP motors too and take video of today (if the rain holds off). Lets see what they do?!

Well... I hate to say it but the straws worked. They did end up burning off after about 3 seconds and the big straw didn't do as well as the little straw but still, they worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWVoTYfKruo&feature=youtube_gdata

Edited by dagabu