APC Forum

Magnalium Turnings

nater

I recently received an order from Skylighter, what can I do with the turnings magnalium was packed in? Is it the same alloy than can be milled or is it some other metal?

Thanks,

I just bought the little red fountain kit, so there's not enough turnings to bother sending them back. I buy most of my chems from people in the club to avoid shipping anyways.

I got the same kit. Is there anything else the turnings can be used for?

Steve

I got the same kit. Is there anything else the turnings can be used for?

Steve

They are great in comets with a bp base ( you can put heaps and heaps of mag turnings in) only issue is the magnesium reacts spontaneously with nitrates. With turnings their relatively small surface area ( compared with powder) so the reaction is not as fast. a non aqueous binding solution would be what I would recommend but having said that PVA glue seems to work fine with turnings (I have 2 test comps ive had sitting around in an isolated area for months using PVA and they both are buring the same as they did as once they were dry and as would be expected)

try ( I have only made this once to test the mag reactivity (to see if it was a viable option) thats why the I don't have a weight for the PVA)

50% by volume Mag turnings (using volume as depending on the size and shape of your turnings you will need more/less meal to hold it together well)

50% by volume meal

dampen with PVA glue

Edited by Ralph