APC Forum

Ball Mill troubles

pillyg

I have a lortona 3A 3lb mill. The belt seems really loose and when i plug it in, the motor spins but the jar doesn't. It only works empty. I have tried using a rubber band for the pulley but it breaks. I also tried putting tape on to increase the friction. What can I do. Next im gonna get a new belt if i cant find anything.

I have a lortona 3A 3lb mill. The belt seems really loose and when i plug it in, the motor spins but the jar doesn't. It only works empty. I have tried using a rubber band for the pulley but it breaks. I also tried putting tape on to increase the friction. What can I do. Next im gonna get a new belt if i cant find anything.

If the drive belt is old or stretched, replacing it is a good fix (and keep a spare handy). If it's in good shape, try increasing tension by adjusting the space between the pulleys (by moving the drive motor and retightening the mounting bolts). If the material of the drive belt is inferior, invest in a higher quality belt. Make sure the mounting bolts and all parts of the mechanism are tight and sound. It's not good practice to overload the jar, be certain of a proper fill.

If these suggestions don't help, tell us and we'll come up with other tips.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

You need a new belt just about every time you run those rock tumblers. The rubber O ring belts are useless, they have no strength. See if you can find a urethane belt like this one. The circumference is 12 inches. I put toothed timing belts on my mills, neoprene with kevlar reinforcement, and that works fine, but by the time I paid for the belts, pulleys and bearings I paid more than the original cost of the mills. You might also try one of these - this is the right size - it will fit the pulleys just fine and never stretch or break.

<edit: damn Javascript web pages, you never get what you expect. Part number 7881K13 if the link doesn't work.>

Edited by Peret

If the drive belt is old or stretched, replacing it is a good fix (and keep a spare handy). If it's in good shape, try increasing tension by adjusting the space between the pulleys (by moving the drive motor and retightening the mounting bolts). If the material of the drive belt is inferior, invest in a higher quality belt. Make sure the mounting bolts and all parts of the mechanism are tight and sound. It's not good practice to overload the jar, be certain of a proper fill.

If these suggestions don't help, tell us and we'll come up with other tips.

WSM B)

Thanks. I never realized thats what the screws were for. It works pretty good now.

Edited by pillyg