GREEN Ballmill

donperry

Now my situation is not like i want it to be:

1. Live with other people

2. They cant stand the noise

3. Do not have a motore

And i need all the above to make a ballmill

my solution? make it green

Gonna contruct a ballmill using a propeller from an old fan and let it face the WIND.

Now this is where you guys come in. What can i use as the container? and to support the mill outside

Not exactly. The props just has be big enough. In fact, the bigger they both are then more momentum is created and it spins more constantly, and slow enough

check it ;)

Come on guys. Your input are all welcomed

Edited by donperry

Wind power is not often consistent.

Try a thrift store or an appliance repair place for a motor

Washing machine motors work well.

If you look hard you can find a motor under $20.

With a motor, you will have consistency in turning the jar.

As for noise, sound proof it.

That is not tough to do.

Well, if you're ball milling close enough that it bothers people, it's a good sign it's in an unsafe location.

Build it like any other ball mill, just attach a pully to said fan blade, and use it like any other motor. Depending on how close the blades are to the ground, you may have issues generating enough torque for a good sized ball mill.

Wind power is not often consistent.

Try a thrift store or an appliance repair place for a motor

Washing machine motors work well.

If you look hard you can find a motor under $20.

With a motor, you will have consistency in turning the jar.

As for noise, sound proof it.

That is not tough to do.

How do you go about soundproofing it?

My only bright side is that i'd let it mill for 10 hours at that slower speed.

how about a car radiator fan?

Edited by donperry

Not exactly. The props just has be big enough. In fact, the bigger they both are then more momentum is created and it spins more constantly, and slow enough

check it ;)

Come on guys. Your input are all welcomed

the size of a fan motor can spin like 50g in a medium strength

so minus jar weight and the 4 bits of milling media you will be lucky to be milling 10g at a time

stop trying to be so unconventional buy sulfur and make BP like a normal person buy a ball mill and stop skrewing around with dead ends unless you have a tower a windmill is semi pointless even than I would generate electricity with it and run an electric one

My next post would be, if you dont have anything positve to say, dont say nothing. THank you

its not feasible if you want help than quit bitching when someone tells you that something wont work

a wind powered mill wont be any quieter than an electric one infact it would probably squeak it was an idea it wont work now move on

<edited>

Sincerely.

Now another question. About how many watts does that motor consume for 8 hours of milling? I dont know how much they are rated (washing machine motor)

and at that load (say half pound of weight)

Edited by donperry

Let me teach you how to be polite.

Edit your post removing the striked out portion like so

its not feasible if you want help than quit bitching when someone tells you that something wont work

a wind powered mill wont be any quieter than an electric one infact it would probably squeak it was an idea it wont work now move on

And it would have been well received and respected. Respect is earned, not commanded.

Sincerely.

Now another question. About how many watts does that motor consume for 8 hours of milling? I dont know how much they are rated (washing machine motor)

and at that load (say half pound of weight)

ooooor here's a revolutionary idea I don't edit my post and I leave it as is because I have earned (some)respect and am now in position to command it :P

if your motor doesn't say a wattage hook it up to an ammeter find out how many amps it is drawing than find the rated operating voltage of the motor to give you the watts than multiply by 8(hours) devided by 1000 (to get in kW) than times by $0.2 (a fair approximation of the cost of electricity at residential prices) ofcoarse this will give you the cost of running it with out a load if you want a more accurate costing measure the power draw while connected to the ball mill

ooooor here's a revolutionary idea I don't edit my post and I leave it as is because I have earned (some)respect and am now in position to command it :P

if your motor doesn't say a wattage hook it up to an ammeter find out how many amps it is drawing than find the rated operating voltage of the motor to give you the watts than multiply by 8(hours) devided by 1000 (to get in kW) than times by $0.2 (a fair approximation of the cost of electricity at residential prices) ofcoarse this will give you the cost of running it with out a load if you want a more accurate costing measure the power draw while connected to the ball mill

lol...U little....

That makes sense, but then i'd have to get one first :-O

I'm kool with u Ralf

Made mine in the late 60's......hard yellow pine...hasn't failed me yet. I insert a plastic 'jar' for smaller loads....the large wood mill is great for bulk charcoal!

Need photos or info ...PM me