APC Forum

first rockets

dan999ification

hi, my first rockets, well i made two one with slightly thicker walls about a gram heavier, testing them they both flew straight and no cato.

specs: the tubes were hand rolled heavy virgin kraft 10mm id 3-4 mm walls 5 gram bp in ten increments 2mm nozzle in bentonite plug fused with bm and visco no core.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFmNjwHulSY

i know theyre small but for my first rockets i was extremely pleased they worked so well with no problems i had to share.

on balancing them i strapped 38 grams to the stick before i trimmed it for the motor it balances but will a motor this size lift a 30 gram payload [motors 8g] thanks in advance

put a dummy header on it,I'd say it should lift 30g if you've got good b.p you'll have to test it out.

thanks thats what i thought i just didnt want to have a dummy land in someones garden looking live and get in to trouble.

i'll go somewhere remote. bp is ok ive lifted 1.5- 3 inch cans and balls

Given all the houses visible in the video, you may want to consider doing all of your testing in a remote location. It's probably better for your neighbors to be oblivious to your hobbies than tracking you down and calling the police.

Given all the houses visible in the video, you may want to consider doing all of your testing in a remote location. It's probably better for your neighbors to be oblivious to your hobbies than tracking you down and calling the police.

your right, luckily the neighbours are ok about it but i dont need unwanted attention, this was some time ago and all testing is now done in a field

thanks for the heads up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I giggled. That is some good work. You might want to find a less populated area to play in though. Especially with all the panty wetters in the UK, anything resembling a gunshot could cause mass panic.

panty wetters

did make me giggle :D ,we know all the locals well and i would never make a nuissance of myself. this can be accepted as a consumer grade rocket cat 2/3 and all debris is taken away. the header got laughed at for sounding like a bag of crisps popping but i do know exactly what you mean i would never test bigger/louder items in this way

im planning now the motors are dialled in to design some mini headers they must be less than 25g no flash anyone got any ideas?

The giggle was meant as a compliment, I think (hope) you took it that way. I was thinking about the mass panic that those salutes could cause in a populated area. They really do sound quite good on the video. Rockets really are a lot of fun to play with. So many tiny variables that make a big difference. Keep experimenting.

I giggled. That is some good work. You might want to find a less populated area to play in though. Especially with all the panty wetters in the UK, anything resembling a gunshot could cause mass panic.

I know it's an old post but... WOW it sure hit's the spot.

Lot's O pantie wetters in the UK, (sigh) Seems they are growing here in the US too.

no bad feeling here. and it was the neighbours that laughed at the pop, salute was louder than i expected though as i didn't paste the tiny ball just taped it up for the test 16g bp works nicely for me, thanks for the comments

if the mods dont mind this post will be ongoing as the rockets get better maybe ending with a dozen different headers filmed at night[ lots of work yet] to keep and show the progress of a beginner all in one thread[until i buy/make tooling]

mini headers

i was thinking mini hummers,go getters[charcoal] tt, crys 6,crys 8, crys myst, bp salute, ralphs glitter when the al arrives

theres 8 different headers. are there any more effects with just c/k/s/a as the chems? maybe 1 flash salute to make 9

i know these tiny shells are a pita to build but are impressive for their size[ to me ] and i cant shoot bigger til the season starts and the panty wetters expect it

no bad feeling here. and it was the neighbours that laughed at the pop, salute was louder than i expected though as i didn't paste the tiny ball just taped it up for the test 16g bp works nicely for me, thanks for the comments

if the mods dont mind this post will be ongoing as the rockets get better maybe ending with a dozen different headers filmed at night[ lots of work yet] to keep and show the progress of a beginner all in one thread[until i buy/make tooling]

mini headers

i was thinking mini hummers,go getters[charcoal] tt, crys 6,crys 8, crys myst, bp salute, ralphs glitter when the al arrives

theres 8 different headers. are there any more effects with just c/k/s/a as the chems? maybe 1 flash salute to make 9

i know these tiny shells are a pita to build but are impressive for their size[ to me ] and i cant shoot bigger til the season starts and the panty wetters expect it

Very cool, certainly better than my first rockets (oh so many years ago). You could also try daylight smoke parachutes as a header, but be sure they won't carry an ember to the ground and cause a fire hazard :o (testing required)! Have fun...

WSM B)

great idea that would be impressive,i may struggle making one this small first time but i like a challenge and have always wanted to make a shell the same. we used to be able to get parrachute flare/smoke rockets here but no more, embers i guess

the header will be bigger because the contents are lighter dry2.gif

Edited by dan999ification

• 2 months later...

UPDATE

the first of hopefully many pretty headers, the motors are the same spec and they do push 30g.

i didn't think in a million years that it would be this good.............. there will more to come soon

http://www.youtube.com/embed/LdiZuqnd1dA

dan.

very nice i like it. but your finger must be tired trying to light the lighter. Keep up the goo work. and ill be watching for your posts.

Dan thats AWEsome! What size were those comets/stars and what did you use for comp? I just got my rockets dialed in for my tooling here recently and then broke my tooling! Had lots of plans for lots of rockets for 4th but I think I am going to rely heavily on mortars this year. Oh well there is always NYE. Congrats again on a great rocket/header, I will post some vid if I can ever get a decent break.

later

Dan thats AWEsome! What size were those comets/stars and what did you use for comp? I just got my rockets dialed in for my tooling here recently and then broke my tooling! Had lots of plans for lots of rockets for 4th but I think I am going to rely heavily on mortars this year. Oh well there is always NYE. Congrats again on a great rocket/header, I will post some vid if I can ever get a decent break.

later

the stars were pumped hard with a syringe and hammer 4x5mm the comp was tigertail corned bp break.

im sure the lower hemi didnt ignite as the passfire tube went to the centre[something i may change for small headers] nothing under it saw fire after studying the video it seems it broke on the eqator and popped the top off but all is well. sorry about your tooling i read but didnt reply.

STCMNDN.

thanks.

LAYEDBACK.

the finger is just recovered, i was going to edit the video and orientate it correctly but started recieving comments.

i will post some more goo as soon as i make some :lol: .

dan.