APC Forum

Coloring Question

alexthegreat00

I am making some stars for some canister shells and I really do not have any coloring agents. I can just make the tiger tail kind of course, but I would like to make some different colors as well. I have some potassium chloride which burns purpleish, but I am not sure if that will be compatible with black powder. Will I be able to mix the chlorine in it safely with the sulfur in the bp? If not, are there any household coloring agents that I could use? I would prefer not to have to order anything online. Thanks.

PS. I am pretty green at this so if it is one of those cases where nobody has any idea, I am definitely not trying it. I'll leave it to someone more experienced if they are interested.

Is that Potassium Chlorate instead of Potassium Chloride?

If it is Chlorate then I suggest that you don't mess with it if you are that new. You are definitely going to have to make some purchases in order to get colors, Barium Nitrate for green, Strontium Nitrate for red and so on.

You'll be pretty much restricted to TT and the similar mixtures. There is a white star that is made from BP ingredients, but I'm not a great fan of it personally. If you have any metal filings around you can at least mix them in and add a tail.

Look also at D1 Glitter, Once you have lift, break, Tiger Tail, D1 Glitter, and some tails sorted you are a long way to success. Then it's only a matter of making some colour star mixes when you have the chems. Remember that the Japanese tradition includes a LOT of plain stars. It's what you do with them that matter!

Is that Potassium Chlorate instead of Potassium Chloride?

If it is Chlorate then I suggest that you don't mess with it if you are that new. You are definitely going to have to make some purchases in order to get colors, Barium Nitrate for green, Strontium Nitrate for red and so on.

No, its Chloride. I do know not to mess with chlorate for a while.

I guess your right, I will have to get around to ordering some colors sometime or another and it might as well be now.

Thanks for the help.

I am sure that you guys thought that this topic was over, but can I use calcium carbonate?

http://www.pyroguide...lcium_carbonate

Thanks for the help.

Not using potassium nitrate oxidizer. If you use potassium perchlorate, it makes a fairly attractive orange. You can't really do colors without perchlorate oxidizers. Check out the Veline system, it gives a good range of colors with a limited shopping list of chemicals.

you can also buy copper sulphate from your local gardening store as bluestone, (apparently its good for killing algae)

Copper sulfate on it's own is a poor colorant for a variety of reasons. It can be turned into useful things though. Not that it really matters as it still wont do a darn thing with BP based stars.