APC Forum

Books on Rocketry

moondogman

Hello all

As a beginner that just fired his first sugar rockets last night. What book/books should I should I buy??

Thanks Steve

I have David Sleeter's book, Amateur Rocket Motor Construction. He discusses different types of nozzles, rolling tubes, fuels, delay fuels, ejection charges, and a few other things. His fuels are all BP based with the exception of one chapter where he shows you how to use sugar fuels. Although the book is geared towards mid-power sport rocketry more so than pyrotechnic rocketry, I think it was still a good read.

I wholeheartedly agree. Sleeters book is worth the read in any case and you learn a lot more about the "why" then any other pyro book.

To expand on the "Why", Sleeter explains nozzle design, thrust curves, and gets pretty technical with the motors. He has put a lot of research into it. A lot doesn't apply to our needs, and even more was way over my head. I have not built any of his designs. I incorporated his nozzle mix technique with Ned's recipe, and I used Sleeters technique to roll tubes with a few adjustments suggested to me by Dan T on Passfire.

My next book purchase will be the PGI Anthology.

The ultimate sugar rocket junkies......

http://nakka-rocketry.net/

Way more technical than I suspect most folks want, but his techniques for fuel production and distinctions between the various sugar-based fuels are second to none.

All free, too.

Kevin

PS> I bought a project manual from Dave Sleeter a few years ago - about building a microbeam balance. Was well written, and gave beautiful results.

Edited by Nessalco

I just returned Sleeter's book to the libary, get it though interlibary loan, and check it out. I am really considering buying it, I looked through it, but did not have near enough time to read it cover to cover.

i just d/l Amateur Rocket Motor Construction wow its full of everything

for the beginer to the top end guys

500+ pages

theres a few other books too