APC Forum

Type 4 Explosives Magazine

NightHawkInLight

I,m planing a in ground one myself.It can be used as a storm cellar also.But to meet ATF it must have a steel door with sutable lock.I plan on using steel storeage container

& puting it into a hillside.

Fly

Our Type IV is a 20' shipping container, they make excellent magazines. We just painted the inside with epoxy paint and welded on the hoods for the locks. Almost forgot, we laid a gravel foundation under it first. I really think the insurance requirement is state by state.

Could the insurance requirements be more from your homeowners / business insurance companies rather than requirements from the ATF?

My thoughts were that the "metal covered wood" was merely to make a wooden structure "fireproof" (from the outside), as required. If this is correct, then even a very thin metal covering would suffice the wording of the orange book. (Ex. a wooden shed which is covered with metal). I would like to see an actual ATF position on this though.

From all the times I've read over the orange book magazine requirements, I agree with the comments above - there are very strict restrictions on the locks and door, while the rest of the magazine is not really mentioned much.

Also, as far as distance, when I had my meeting with my ATF inspector for my Type 54, I asked about a magazine. He told me that because my home address is what I have listed on my 54, it no longer counts as an "occupied structure", so my distances only have to be from my neighbors and the roadway.

I'm also looking into a small Type 4 and have been for a while now. Although, unless I figure out some way to do it cheaper, I'll likely do the job box variance.

Edited by tgis81

Yes, a job box in the garage is a viable *legal magazine. An easy way to deal with insurance without tipping your hat as to pyro is to ask about Black Powder storage in pursuance of BP hunting and shooting, reloading and such. After getting the home offices interpretation on the subject, we decided to get an umbrella policy as well to cover legal fees if there were an accident.

Just my $.02

*Based on the orange books standards

The thickness of the steel is determined primarily by your state, the ATF won't approve your magazine until your state certifies it. As far as a mag in your garage, I floated that to my state inspector and he wanted bars on the windows before approval. Every state is different, and so is every ATF field agent. Your right about your home being exempt as an inhabited structure if it is listed as the premises for your permit or license, still the state will dictate your distances and weights.

Yup, no windows for me to bar and the mag had to be bolted to the floor. 50# max in our neck of the woods.

Nighthawk - have you made any progress on this? I'm still waiting for a reply to my email to ATF regarding a jobbox variance. Just wondered if you had any luck.

I posted pics of my approved magazine in my gallery today. It is a job box type IV and may help some. Some inspectors may or may not be different so this is an example of what worked for me.

Mark

In

Fortunately I have plenty of space for a type 4 mag containing 0 - 1,000 lbs, which only requires a 75ft radius from occupied structures and roads.

Actually, you need 150' of clearance for your magazine. You need to go off of the table for "Display Fireworks", not the one for "Low Explosives".

Nighthawk - have you made any progress on this? I'm still waiting for a reply to my email to ATF regarding a jobbox variance. Just wondered if you had any luck.

I just returned home from out of country. I have a lot of other things that need doing before I get back to this, but I will post my progress as things happen later on.

In

Actually, you need 150' of clearance for your magazine. You need to go off of the table for "Display Fireworks", not the one for "Low Explosives".

Yes my mistake. I remember reading that, but when I just did a quick scan through to make my post the low explosives table was the first I came across and I thought I may have misread the first time. Fortunately I still have more than enough room.

I spoke with my ATF inspector today. He advised me that the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection will come out and inspect a Type 4 mag for $50.00. I already knew they needed to approve of it before ATF, but I didn't know the fee. I was more asking about the job box variance. He told me that even if I put the job box inside a shed and it could still be certified as an outdoor Type 4, as long as it meets all the requirements of an outdoor Type 4 (speaking of the 1/4" hoods over the locks, the 3/8" shackle, water proof, theft proof, covered with metal, etc). I was concerned that by putting it inside a shed, it would only be able to be an indoor, but not according to him.

He seemed to very much support my wanting to place the job box inside of a shed structure, because this wouldn't draw as much attention as the job box sitting by itself outside. I'm basically trying to get a job box, line it with the non sparking material, and put it in a small shed at the top of the hill on my property. I don't see any reason why either agency shouldn't approve the variance, but you never know. I know the job box route is not as cheap as what Nighthawk wanted to do, but it would be easier for me to just buy a job box than to find something else and modify it to meet the same standards that the job box already pretty much meets (other than the non sparking lining I assume).

Edited by tgis81