APC Forum

Anyone have tooling for sale

moondogman

Hello all

Im in search fo some low priced rocket tooling.. anyone have anything for sale. Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask for this. Also anyone got a set of turbo pyro tools for sale? and last but not least anyone from Indiana on here??

Thanks Steve

Make your first set from knitting needles and oak dowel......round the end of the appropriate size dowel, bore it to the size of the needle...a little epoxy to hold it.......set the dowel in a wood base and you're set...for several dozen if not hundred rockets. That will get you going til you can make/buy ones out of aluminum.

Set the needle, cut to proper length, into the rounded/beveled dowel in a wood base...will go to the shop and send you some photos....they are easy to make and very low cost....especially if your wife knits and isn't looking!! What size of rocket ID?

Moondog, PM me, I can hook you up.

Blackthumb, second time I have mentioned this but knitting needles that are hollow will crush leaving you with a needle stuck in the fuel grain. You need to use a solid spindle.

I can't help you with tooling, but I am from Indiana. Are you aware of HPA?

Dagabu.....all the knitting needles I have used were solid aluminum.....I turn all my tooling on a metal lathe. My forst ones were made of hard woods such as ebony, acacia etc. Worked well but didn't last......just trying to help...

I can't help you with tooling, but I am from Indiana. Are you aware of HPA?

Tell me about it???

Steve

I shoot with both BPG & HPA in Indiana. Highly recommend both clubs. The Fall fireworks festival at Nelson's (Wayne's World) in October is always a good time.

Fred

I shoot with both BPG & HPA in Indiana. Highly recommend both clubs. The Fall fireworks festival at Nelson's (Wayne's World) in October is always a good time.

Fred

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/iagree.gif

I shoot with HPA and occasionally MPAG. I have not been to a BPG shoot, but that will change this year. HPA shoots once a month when the weather is nice. I have a tentative schedule for this year, but nothing has been confirmed yet. I know both HPA and BPG are getting together at Nelson's on 3/26 for shooter training and a demo. I was told there would be open shooting allowed before and after his demo. I think his fall festival is October 8.

Most of the HPA shoot sites are in NW Indiana and SW Michigan. If you can make it there, we would love to have you. I am sure thr others can help more with the Bluegrass Guild if you are closer to their sites.

• 1 month later...

If you are looking to make tooling, look here http://www.jamesyawn...tool/index.html Thats where I got the plans to make my first tooling.

Pillg, Thanks for that link, I just found my next project :)

Does the "spindle" need to be tapered or is an untapered straight bolt (like in the instructions) effective?

Will a steel bolt spark? Should i look for Stainless or even aluminum possibly?

If you are looking to make tooling, look here http://www.jamesyawn...tool/index.html Thats where I got the plans to make my first tooling.

what is the bought equivalent of this? or what is the size tubes i can use with this? im very new to rocketry so im sorry if these sound like stupid questions. also if any one has information on getting materials to get started please tell.

Thanks!!

Nate

Does the "spindle" need to be tapered or is an untapered straight bolt (like in the instructions) effective?

Will a steel bolt spark? Should i look for Stainless or even aluminum possibly?

It's never a bad idea to make sure that rocket tooling be made from a material that resists sparking. Not all stainless steel is spark resistant, a lot of bolts are made from SST that is not much better at resisting sparking then steel. The better (and in a lot of cases is cheaper) choice is aluminum and brass if you can afford it.

what is the bought equivalent of this? or what is the size tubes i can use with this? im very new to rocketry so im sorry if these sound like stupid questions. also if any one has information on getting materials to get started please tell.

Nate, that's a 4 oz rocket that James is building. These are sugar rockets using bates grains of fuel. Read the links to James web pages, you will find everything you need there. keep in mind that he is rolling and using paper tubes, not PVC.

-dag

I have some tooling for sale. I'll be posting it it a different thread so as not to interrupt this one. I hope you find something you like.

Thanks