APC Forum

3 inch peanut

fredhappy

A 3 inch peanut I ve shot recently. Stars were rolled 9 mm shimizu violet#1 to veline orange. Unfortunately the camera did not accurately pick up the colour changes.

The salute was just a 60 grams binary salute with half a teaspoon full of sponge titanium. Fun to build and fun to shoot.

Do comment please...

post-10434-0-91874800-1298554650_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-62764000-1298554790_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It was very nice peanut.

Wondering if I should try it ...

Would there be any problem and do this with 2 "

nice shell,it looked like it broke in two on lift,has anyone seen that vid on you tube about piggybacking small shells looked exactly the same as this.

nice shell,it looked like it broke in two on lift,has anyone seen that vid on you tube about piggybacking small shells looked exactly the same as this.

Jimbo, that was the ascending tail comet. They come apart all of the time. Nice shell guys!!

Ok , thanks for the replies and comments guys.

I don't attach the shells too firmly to one and another, especially when the second shell is a salute. You want a little bit of separation when you start attaching salutes. Timing could be a bit better, the salute should go off right after the peony vanishes.

I really like making peanuts and triplets . They are fun to build, and quite spectacular to watch. I've posted another triple 3 inch here somewhere. Hopefully I can shoot some more this weekend, and I'll try and upload it.

I don't want to argue,but I looked at it again and I still think it broke in two and if it didn't it definetly looks like it did,unless that broken bit of comet followed the exact same trajectory as the salute,I'll put my money on broken bit going up the middle and each shell with some of their comet still attached going up either side,but I'm not 100%,also fred how was it fused, it was as if it was top fused and bottom fused separately because if it was fused so the 1st break ignited the 2nd break then the 2nd break couldn't have gone if in fact it did break in two. Edited by jimbo

I don't want to argue,but I looked at it again and I still think it broke in two and if it didn't it definetly looks like it did,unless that broken bit of comet followed the exact same trajectory as the salute,I'll put my money on broken bit going up the middle and each shell with some of their comet still attached going up either side,but I'm not 100%,also fred how was it fused, it was as if it was top fused and bottom fused separately because if it was fused so the 1st break ignited the 2nd break then the 2nd break couldn't have gone if in fact it did break in two.

Ah, I see what you mean. You are referring to the two shells separating or "breaking apart"as you call it. That is correct and I tried to do that on purpose ! I use a piece of toiletrol as a spacer between the shells. This serves no other purpose than to separate and fixate the shells during manufacturing and also make loading easier. It is not meant to stay intact after launch for all I care. Since it is a loud 70/30 salute, I want the ballshells to separate a bit on liftoff , otherwise you'd risk that the peony somehow destroys the salute on break. One or two rising comets came off during liftoff, it looked a bit messy I agree.

A far as I know piggy backing is just dumping another ballshell on top of a single shell. The liftcharge should ignite the topshell reliably. This same principle applies to my method of fusing. Lower shell just bottom fused, top shell just turned upside down so that the crossmatch is exposed to the lift flame. Exotic ways of fusing such as drilling in hemispheres and other alternatives I don't use. I try to keep it simple, and this way of constructing ignites both shells reliably everytime, and I ve build quite a few . Please look at the second picture, there I try to show my method of fusing.

Ah, I see what you mean. You are referring to the two shells separating or "breaking apart"as you call it. That is correct and I tried to do that on purpose !

Why shut my mouth and call me Mary! My bad.