APC Forum

chrisnz in earthquake

madmandotcom

Chrisnz is currently a member here alnd is living in christchurch, a city which has been flattened by 7.1 and 6.5 magnitude earthquakes, i am not currently certain of what has happened to him, 65 have already been confirmed dead and more body's ore being recovered.

I've had word from him. He and his family are unhurt which is a relief. Things are pretty bad though with much of the infrastructure out, though by getting his message I know he has electricity and the internet in his part of the city.

Unfortunately this shake is a bad one, and there are going to be thousands in mourning, and everyone in Christchurch will be affected.

It is. What about you? I hope you don't have relatives or friends caught up in the carnage.

My Auntie and Uncle live down there. They are ok, but the house is damaged, possibly beyond repair.

i have managed to get hold of everyone, fortunately they are ok

Glad to hear that.

I pray for those still trapped alive will be rescued okay.

I experianced the 1964 Alaska quake in person & lost family, as well as freinds in it.

You have to see/feel experiance one in person to even imagine the traumatic effect a big one has.

I fear sooner or later California will get a real whopper of a quake.

Thank you guys for your thoughts. It's nice to have people that care.

(Not in touch with my family so much these days, that's another story. But today I've talked to them all.)

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones down here at the moment. Our power was returned pretty quick, our apartment is solid, standing and secure and yes I also have internet access! However I still alck running water.

To be honest though, I haven't made much use of power, phone, internet today as I've been out with a group of friends doing our best to help people that were hit worse than us. We've rescued cars from holes that opened in the roads, captured dogs that have been running wild in the street, feed and cleaned them. Most have been returned to their owners. I personally haven't seen any great injuries or death, but with the city the way it is at the moment I'm afriad it may still happen.

I know a lot of people have left Christchurch today, several of my good friends have left, two of which will not be makign a return trip. They've taken whats still good and written off the rest.

It's going to take a long time for us to recover, but it will happen.

We're pretty unlucky though, a 7.2 on 4th Sep last year, and now a very shallow 6.3 in the last few days with MANY 4.0+ aftershocks coming very often.

At the moment my pyro is on hold, but if you have any to spare.. Let some off for Christchurch!

• 3 weeks later...

Great to hear from you, I'm a little late getting around to posting but Xpyro told me you we okay.

My parents leave for NZ tomarrow for a 2 week motorcycing adventure, and fly into ChristChurch. Its a shame you can't greet them with some fire in the sky Chris.

Hope everything is looking up from here, If there is anything I can do to help feel free to ask.

Edited by Updup