APC Forum

Whistle inserts

mabuse00

Hi guys,

on my next rocket header i would like to try some whistle inserts.

10mm iD x 50mm papertubes, no core.

The whistles work fine, I already tested some on the ground on new years eve, but i found them extremely prone to cato when anything blocks the open end.

One had a little piece of tape over the end of the tube - boom.

Im afraid that when the rocket header bursts (H3), the whistles will either not light at all or explode due to the burst pressure.

How is this done by the professionals? Pressing BP on top?

Do you now these Whistlers designed to be fired from blank firing guns with 15mm adaptors?

A 9mm blank firing cartridge has a tremendous power, but the 15mm whistlers, even the cored ones ("rattlers") withstand that without cato.

Winner-winner, chicken dinner!

Yes, just press a thin 1mm to 2mm plate of BP on top, black match the end and load the inserts. 50mm is too long to withstand the burst, try a 20 or 30mm tube and see if it is any better. Use gummed paper tape to build up the walls if you need to. I suggest that you use 12mm tubes for inserts, much better sound!

Working with whistle inserts now...good info.

I split the heavens with the thunder of man…

I vanquish the night with the stars of my hand…

Blackthumb

Book 75 Chapter 15 Verse 10

Working with whistle inserts now...good info.

I split the heavens with the thunder of man…

I vanquish the night with the stars of my hand…

Blackthumb

Book 75 Chapter 15 Verse 10

Hmmm am I supposed to be impressed? I have dealt with the ATF. Trump.

use 12mm tubes for inserts, much better sound!

I only have 10mm at the moment, at least in paper.

2mm walls, parallel wound. I don't believe they need any reinforcement, but I'll try...

Besides faster burning, how does iron oxide alter the sound compared to no catalyst at all?

Edited by mabuse00

Follow the link and click on the sound files. Dan recorded the sound they make but the red iron oxide is the loudest.

I would like to make some whistle inserts with report. I have 10mm ID tubes 70mm long. Can you give me some info on how they are built and how long the resonating chamber must be and if they should have a core?

It really depends on the catalyst and which fuel you are using. Benzoates and Salicylate both sound different and need different open sections to make the best sound they can. In my experiences, use a chamber length of 1 ID for Benzoates. 10mm (3/8") X 70mm (2-3/4") may be a little long depending on how thick the walls are due to the break turning the tube into a banana and shattering the whistle grain causing it to CATO.

Remember to press them and start with about 25mm of fuel and test the length of the burn. It may surprise you how long it takes a 1" column to burn. Also, if you are going to put a report on top of them, make darn sure that you have a stout plug on the end of the tube. 5mm of hot glue over a thick (3mm) plug (never use hot glue directly on flash) is usually enough to keep the report from going off at break.