APC Forum

Mg+Vinegar=?

pillyg

This has probably been posted somewhere else, but I couldn't find it. I knew that adding vinegar to Mg would make hydrogen and bubble. I tried it and It made hydrogen just like it was supposed to, but it also made a frothing grey goop. What is this? It seems to be boiling and making some sort of gas. Is it toxic? What is it????

• 2 weeks later...

This has probably been posted somewhere else, but I couldn't find it. I knew that adding vinegar to Mg would make hydrogen and bubble. I tried it and It made hydrogen just like it was supposed to, but it also made a frothing grey goop. What is this? It seems to be boiling and making some sort of gas. Is it toxic? What is it????

This is a classic test for magnesium. Scrap metal dealers use a small dropper bottle with white household vinegar (5%) to test for magnesium vs aluminum (bubbling = Mg, no bubbling = Al). To the trained eye, even MgAl can be detected (less bubbling than Mg, but more than Al).

WSM B)

Yeah I was just wondering the chemistry of it and what it made

Mg + 2CH3COOH --> Mg(CH3COO)2 + H2

Classic acid/active metal reaction. Aluminum doesn't undergo the same reaction because the passive Al2O3 layer is impervious to dilute acetic acid at room temperature.

Aluminum acetate will also probably hydrolyze just about immediately passivating the surface even if you freshly scratch it. If testing a chunk of metal to be Mg or Al, it's probably a good idea to scratch it to get a clean fresh surface to test.

The grey froth was probably suspended magnesium particles, some sort of basic salt, or surface grime.

Yeah. It seemed like there was 2 different stages of the reaction. The first made small bubbles of H2 and the 2nd made big bubbles of H2 but they were slower.