APC Forum

Legendary Smoke Mix troubles

xBangergoosEx

Ive been trying to perfect the Legendary Smoke Bomb, and i keep running into troubles with the ignition. I cant get the mix to ignite, and when i do it doesnt stay lit. Even when i use a blow-torch the mix wont stay lit.

I melt the paraffin wax in a metal can with a blow torch, then i dump it into the kno3/sugar mix, then i mix it and cover it with aluminum foil.

Maybe the paraffin isnt hot enough to completely mix with the kno3/sugar?

I made a legendary once, I used KNO3 ground in a coffee grinder but unground table sugar.

I found it very hard to light and very slow burning. The smoke was very good for the small device though.

IMHO there is no need to melt the sugar, I just melt the wax and dumped sugar and KNO3 in.

Try to use finer ground ingredients, and if that doesn't help, reduce the wax percentage.

For ease of ignition prepare a piece of Visco casted into a lump of dextrine bound BP+5% alu. Just stick the lump into the legendary before it grows stiff...

• 1 year later...
I've heard of using a plug of rcandy smoke mix to prime. I've also heard of rice hulls/BP in the center cavity though I haven't tried that: but think that would be somewhat explosive? What about rice hulls/BP with a retarder? Maybe linseed oil, gum or shellac? I'm trying to move away from the rcandy (too hydroscopic).

I just drill a hole into it and fill it with KClO4/Sugar and fuse it. Works every time! You kinda have to drill in at least an inch or so. for reliable ignition. Once they get burning deep in that hole they stay ignited. I use to do them like long core burners to get a lot of smoke fast.

Yep, just melt the wax and dump in the mixed sugar/kno3. I use a frying pan and stir it around and make sure all the wax stays melted before ramming it into casings hot.

I really want to make one of these sometime but have never gotten around to it yet... Had the idea a year ago or so. A legendary smoke rocket! The top half is my end burner fuel 50:50 BP/SF then the legendary mix is cored. Either this thing is going to make a lot of smoke or it is going to put out a long paraffin flame... Hmmm... Some hot burning aluminum added to the BP/SF might insure a flame! ^_^

http://i46.tinypic.com/t83koo.jpg

Edited by usapyro

Perhaps a different smoke mix would be superior for a rocket. Perhaps one utilizing Ammonium chloride, or 50:50 KNO3:Sulfur. It would have to put off alot of smoke to even be reconizable as a smoke device--considering it goes real fast and puts off alot of smoke already.

Try this:

Epoxy Comp

from aRocket several sources same comp: (Patt Gunn, Steve Ghioto):

Mix a pyrogen consisting of 6g KNO3, 2.5g Epoxy resin and hardner, and 1.5g Mg. Wet the Mg with the epoxy before adding the KNO3. Form around 1/8W 10 ohm resistors and let cure overnight.

It should work fine with fuse. Just make sure when you cast the fuse into it to split it first. Also, use acetone to thin the epoxy: a little will do. I also would recommend using long set-time epoxy (no metal filler) cast into a wax-paper-lined tube (it sticks to paper/cardboard tube which sorta "funnels" flame rather than letting it go to the sides).

Try thick visco first and report back if you can.

I tried this with x2 rubber cement and it was a little slow to fire up (10+ sec) but did so using a match as the fuse.

If that doesn't work: buy some red-dot smokeless powder. Dissolve some overnight in acetone, and cast in wax paper cylinder (0.7 cm diameter X 0.7 cm length) with a split-end fuse. Let dry for 7 days then coat thinly with shellac. This is a type of rocket propellant and should light anything. The shellac should seal it from side reactions (legendary isn't too reactive though).

Try "glueing" either of these plugs in the center hole with melted wax dribbles.

Edited by foxfyre841

Do you only preheat the paraffin and then just mix in your kno3/sugar without heating?

Maybe that could be the Problem..

I do it the same way but I still heat the stuff while mixing and it works fine for me.

My method has always been melt the paraffin, dump the KNO3 and sugar in, then stir and then wrap the mix in aluminum foil. To get it to light either use a little bit of black powder or gasoline then light. Might not be the smartest method but its what i use

It's dumb how everyone calls it "Legendary Smoke Mix" since the idiot that named it that didn't even come up with it.

As far as I know, it was Frogfot, years before Pyrosummit was even a site. Not sure if he actually came up with it, but people should at least know that he didn't "invent" it.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040812112944/http://www.frogfot.com/pyro.html#smok

Hi,

personally I ball mill KNO3/Sugar very fine,then i melt the parafin and add the compositions,and when it becom soft i put in the container and leave a space for the core, for good ignitions i put 6/2/2 meal/Sugar/kno3 in the core,(sugar and kno3 are not milled) and it work perfect for me

maybe your comp is wrong,the ingnitions trouble are generaly caused by too much parafinn oil :)

Edited by yvariro