APC Forum

Inert Rocket

nater

My mom is the assistant director for theater department for her local high school. They're doing a play this spring where a character builds fireworks in his basement. This is the first of a few props she asked me to build. More to come later.

post-9966-0-03807300-1297658326_thumb.jpg

Uh-oh! I hope the fireworking character doesn't come to a sticky end. My preferred ending would be that he puts on a fantastic display for graduation day after the professional company lets everyone down. Alternative ending - his rockets save the world, the President thanks him on nationwide TV and he gets the Congressional Medal of Honor.

The play is called "You Can't Take it With You", I don't know much about it other than it is a comedy that was written in the 30s. I don't know what the scene entails, but I think it is more about character development than a major plot element. I'm planning on making a few other things that are more exaggerated, like the old Bugs Bunny cartoons.

There's not much else I can build right now anyway. It finally warmed up from -10 degrees F to high 40s. Now the snow is melting and turning everything into a muddy mess. Since I can't work outside, this is about all I can do indoors.

Hmm...That idea for a play makes me a little uncomfortable.

I might intentionally make the rockets unrealistic in that circumstance. As you said, like what you would see in the cartoons, or made in an ancient way out of bamboo. It doesn't really sound like a good forum to do a presentation on home built pyrotechnics in the world today.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

• 2 weeks later...

Rather ironically, the firework-maker in the play is harmless, but another character in the same play is an alleged communist plotter, causing the innocent firework-maker to get hauled off to jail when they think the explosives are for an attack rather than for fireworks.

Remarkably topical, really, for a play 75 years old.

Rather ironically, the firework-maker in the play is harmless, but another character in the same play is an alleged communist plotter, causing the innocent firework-maker to get hauled off to jail when they think the explosives are for an attack rather than for fireworks.

Remarkably topical, really, for a play 75 years old.

I wouldn't call that ironic, I would call it realistic.