APC Forum

Rockets don't work

pillyg

I am trying to make some endburners but failing. My BP is fast enough but the spindle on my tooling is too big. What can I do. I guess I could just make a nozzle with a drill, but that would be inaccurate. I have tried adding a bit of Al bit that didn't seem to help. How can i either make the fuel faster, or find some thing that will make it work.

I am trying to make some endburners but failing. My BP is fast enough but the spindle on my tooling is too big. What can I do. I guess I could just make a nozzle with a drill, but that would be inaccurate. I have tried adding a bit of Al bit that didn't seem to help. How can i either make the fuel faster, or find some thing that will make it work.

A drill is ok, twist by hand tho and just go a few mm into the grain for a little extra punch on liftoff.

I find BP endburners quite challenging, you need fast powder and small nozzle (and thin fuse). Start with a nozzle a little smaller than the one you are using and just keep making it smaller until it flies. If you go to far it will either cato or blow/erode the nozzle out.

They are great when they work, the noise is awsome (I like to call them squirters) and they just keep going and going..

I was hoping i wouldn't have to drill but i think thats the only way. Its pretty inaccurate. Do you know any way to make it more accurate? Im not that good.

Does your core resemble this? See third one down. End burner tooling

Try making a simple wooden jig. In a piece of 3/4" stock, drill a hole with the bit that you plan to use for the core. In another piece of stock bore a hole the outside diameter of the motor. Glue these two pieces together so that the small hole is in the center of the large hole. Pack the rocket motor tube with nozzle mix, then propellant, then place the motor in the jig. Use the small hole as a guide to center the core hole and bore it SLOWLY as far as you want. You may find that you need to make your nozzle layer thicker than you would when using a spindle core as you will probably experience some crumbling at the base of the nozzle, but a few trial motors should suffice to get this easy jig working perfectly.

Try making a simple wooden jig...

Nice to hear from you again Jeremiah Johnson. You need to venture down out of the mountains more often.

Anymore video of the Napolean in action?

Negative. Josephine is up to her wheels (44") in snow right now. What I've posted so far is of shots with the 1" sleeve barrel....if the testosterone level gets sufficiently high this Spring I'll try a round with the 4" I.D. un-sleeved barrel. And won't the neighbors love me......the closest one is at least 1/4 mile away, but I bet they *might* know I'm up to something. (ratteling windows..dogs barking...car alarms going off..massive white cloud drifting eastward...)

hst45, I have tried to do things like that but I dont have a drill press so I cant drill straight.

Whatis the inside diameter of the tube? Length?

I have great success with a thin 1/2" id tube only 3" long...gets to about 200'

Tried one 6" and it went forever....nosed over and flew horizontal...

Its 1/2x3" (tubes from Dave) My rockets work now because I have made the nozzle smaller. I am hand drilling it now.

Thanks.......fyi...knitting needles work great for small dia rockets...

Thanks.......fyi...knitting needles work great for small dia rockets...

No, they dont. they are hollow and when you pound rockets, the walls tend to crush causing the tip to be larger then the body. Stainless steel bolts work much better.